Galvanized wire for gliders

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABBY W.

So, I'm getting ready to build a new cage for my gliders. Upon doing research, I have found that galvanized metal seems to be considered dangerous, but I can't seem to find out why. Do any of you own gliders? If so, do you know the answer to this question?

A lot of folks have stated that galvanized wire can cause UTI's due to the fact that gliders urinate on the metal and the metal reacts with the urine. Over many discussions, I have seen it come down to the fact that the metal breaks down much quicker than if you were using a powder coated cage. As the metal breaks down, it collects bacteria from the urine and as gliders mark their territory along the cage, the bacteria then collects on the body and can cause problems. So it's not that the metal itself is toxic as many have stated over the years (since it is zinc plated - gliders do not ingest the metal), it's more along the lines of bacteria collecting on the grids. You can't clean the metal and well as you could a powder coated cage. Powder coating does not allow for the growth of bacteria as much as the galvanized wire. Some folks say that it's ok to use it if you replace it often, but I just wouldn't waste the time with it. Have you considered investing in a reptarium?

I built mine out of the wire that was sort of plastic coated that was available at Home Depot..I was told that was ok at the time, but that was about 7 years ago..they never chewed on it and I was able to make a huge cage for around $30.

Yes, I was looking at the vinyl coated wire today. They are in a vinyl coated cage now and they don't seem to have any inclination to chew on it.

What is a reptarium and what are the advantages of housing gliders in one?

This girl used to sell them, but it looks like her store is closed now. She has photos of them and a bit of an explanation. I've never used one personally, but it's a cheap cage that many like. They're easy to take the covers off and just throw them in the wash. The base of the cage is made of PVC, and it's something you can make on your own also. I've always used powder coated flight cages for birds as they last much longer.

http://www.freewebs.com/gliderlove1/reptariums.htm

Latest posts

Back