Fur pulling during introduction?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkpiggy1989

'No they're not bunnies'
Once again, I'm trying to introduce 2 of my chins. I tried a few months ago, but it resulted in a minor tail bite drawing blood so I called it off for a bit. And now I'm trying again. The one chin seems to be pulling clumps of fur off the other one. But hes not attacking him really, just whenever the other gets to close he chases and takes a nibble of fur as to say 'leave me the h*** alone'. Theres really no 'fighting' just a bit of fur pulling and chasing when one gets in the others face. I'm keeping an eye on them and sitting by the cage as I write this, I just wanna make sure this is normal or if I should separate them now?

I don't plan on leaving them together overnight, just for a bit while I sit next to the cage. And they both have a dab of vanilla on butts and noses.

that in my opinion is fighting, if they are acting that way it can and will possibly lead to a fight with a hurt or dead chinchilla...

The fur pulling is an aggressive act. If it continues, I would not continue with the introduction before it turns into actual biting.

You say you don't plan on leaving the chins together in the cage overnight... Only while you're there... Is the chin that's doing the pulling the original chin in that cage?

Introductions should be into a neutral territory, an area that smells like both chins, or doesn't smell like either chin, and cages should be fully cleaned/rearranged before putting chins in it. It eliminates the idea of territory and puts both/all chins on an even field.

Fur pulling is basically the other chin trying to fight but is most likely just not getting the grip that he wants/needs to cause damage.

I've heard of someone after cleaning the cage and putting new items in it, they dampened a washcloth with vanilla and then wiped it over everything and they said that seemed to work better than just putting in new stuff and cleaning it.

Latest posts

Back