fruit/sugar and bloat/stasis

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinnyMom

slave to Rhino and Guss
ahoyhoy all,

i am having a disagreement with somebody on whether the sugars found in dried fruit are bad for a chin's digestive system. obviously, i know that sugar in any form is not to be given to a chin, and stated as such to them, but this other person is getting all up in a huff about how they've never seen a chin bloat from eating dried fruit, how breeders who've been breeding for 30-40 years give dried fruit with no issue, and is rather rudely asking for proof of dried fruit harming chins.

"I am quite confident no one has factual proof of chinchillas dying from natural sugar found in dried fruit..." (quoted).

if y'all could provide me with scientific links, vet reports, etc. on chins bloating from eating foods containing sugar, i would much appreciate it. also, any personal accounts of this are welcome too. i know if i hunted here on the forum long enough, i'd find what i need, but to be honest, i'm being a tad lazy, lol (just finished 4 and some hours of chin room cleaning, cage re-arranging, toy making...... i'm pooped! lol).

also, if somebody could confirm if there is natural sugar found (in the shell?) of rosehips, i'd appreciate that answer too. thanks.

It's actually a very new thing that chins are not given dried fruit in any form. For years and years it was accepted that chins could have a small amount of dried fruit like raisins. There are people, who have been breeding for 30 years or more, that would say that it's just fine to give small amounts of dried fruits. In the last maybe 6 to 8 years people have started saying that dried fruit can not be given in any amount whatsoever.

I don't think you will find anything that states that only the dried fruit gave a chin bloat. I can understand the position of this person you have been speaking to about this. It is a matter of personal preference and experience. Many of the ranchers and breeders that I talked to years ago believed in giving out treats in moderation and that sometimes certain treats could help boost the digestion a bit.

There are natural sugars in rosehips, a smaller amount than in dried fruits. There are natural sugars found in hay and other plants for that matter. It isn't really about the sugar being present, it's the concentration.

Last edited:
It isn't just about the sugar content, it's about how much you give. Every now and then I may give chins a little dried fruit for various reasons. It isn't much and it doesn't harm them. Giving it out sparingly and in moderation isn't going to cause much of an issue.

Most of the issues that I have run into due to treats are when chins are given too many treats every single day. I have seen liver and kidney issues, as well as problems with teeth because of too many sugary treats. I have not seen any chins have problems because they are given a raisin or some dried apple in small amounts infrequently. Chins have a sweet tooth because they are drawn to sweet things to give them needed calories. They can have some treats, but not a whole lot since they can only process a small amount every now and then. This is what I have been told by ranchers and larger breeders.

I would suggest your friend needs to do some research on hindgut fermenters and the issues with carbohydrates and sugars - how they affect the gastro-intestinal balance etc. It's all about anatomy and physiology ..... ;)

With anything moderation is key and since many people cannot handle moderation it is safer and easier to say none .

With anything moderation is key and since many people cannot handle moderation it is safer and easier to say none .

yes if you think about how a chins stomach and digestive system is so small compared to a few small pieces of fruit....even though people think well a few raisins or fruit is not a lot it really is a large amount to digest and break down...so that tiny bit of sugar ends up being a lot to process for a small animal

If people don't get the gut issue, how about the dental carries issue, chins don't brush their teeth, they can and do get carries.

There are no scientific studies linking bloat and sugar in chinchillas. All of the evidence is anecdotal.

Carbohydrates are found in all plant matter and that is the vital energy source they provide. Carbohydrates are sugar. Saying chins can't have sugar is saying they can't have food or a vital energy source.

Copious amounts of anything is not good for biological processes. The key thing is not attempting to remove something from a diet, but to moderate the consumption.

Just because something is consumed does not mean that it will be processed by the body. Carbohydrates, amino acids and fats can be carried out of the body by fiber. So thinking that X amount is consumed so X amount must be processed isn't very accurate.

In all honesty, people don't know enough about the interactions between different micromolecules and macromolecules in biological processes to say what is and is not good for you. If you look at nutritional articles for people, they change drastically from week to week with little to no consensus on what is or is not correct. For every article saying something is good for you, you can find at least two more saying that exact same thing is harmful.

I don't know many vets that warn about chinchillas getting cavities or many that have even encountered that problem. Sugar does not cause cavities. Sugar provides a source of energy for anaerobic bacteria which are what cause the cavities. Herbivores do not generally have as much anaerobic bacteria in their mouths naturally because of their diet. Omnivores and carnivores are much more likely to get cavities because we eat meats which are alive with bacteria.

Chins get caries, my vet dentist has seen it many times in pet chins, I have seen skulls that Cachins has of rotten teeth from carries . The person that Jags refered to had pics, so maybe you should contact him to see the pics yourself and get more info on the matter. Or read more articles from Dr. Crossley that are avaliable online on chinchilla dental issues. Or do a research on dental caries in rabbits, more studies and info there on the subject.

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18968

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back