Fresh (non-dried) herbs?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bovril

Ellie&Bovril <3
Hi there,
I know that many people give herbal supplements to their chins, and I assume those are dried. Do fresh, non-dried herbs fall under the "no leafy greens/veggies" umbrella? Not planning on doing it; just curious because I saw someone on the internet feeding their chin fresh ones.

I'm pretty sure chins aren't supposed to have fresh herbs, as just like other greens, they can cause bloat. Dried is best.

Lots of other folks on the internet feed their chins all kinds of stuff that's bad for them. It's sad, but often ppl just don't do the research before they buy a chin

It probably wouldn't be a good idea to give a chin fresh herbs, it would be like giving out leafy greens. Then again, it probably isn't the best idea to give out too much of the dried stuff either. The dried herbs should be given out in smaller amounts for sure like they are treats.

Susan, my thoughts exactly.

As for people on the internet feeding their chins bad things... there's a girl on the chinchilla tumblr tag whose memorial post to her chin (who died at age 5 because he was attacked by the family cat) is entirely pictures of him eating cheezits and potato chips. I almost vomited.

I have seen people feed their chins cheese and crackers, peanut butter and crackers, pizza crust, bread, cheese, dog food, cat food, chocolate, candies of all different types, etc etc. Even if we argue about treats here, no one here gives out anything nearly as bad as what I have seen people give to their chins over the years.

Cheezits and potato chips are actually pretty tame in comparison to Capn Crunch or thin mints.

I've tried to give my boys fresh cilantro and mint. They didn't like them at all. Herbs are more for medicinal purposes though, and I think to use them effectively you really have to do your research. For treats we now stick to cookies from Stacey and apple sticks (which they still think are treats thankfully!) and I'll be making my own bluegrass cookies this weekend.

Back