Fresh grass?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless you could sterilize it from all of the outdoor contaminants, like dog, cat, or bird feces, or simply what we might track into the yard from the bottom of our shoes, I wouldn't think that fresh grass from your yard would be a great choice. I wouldn't want to risk it.

I buy the organic wheatgrass in the produce section of a regular human store. I feed 2-3 strands per chin maybe twice a week, I haven't had any problems. It's nothing but hay with a higher water content....but don't do more.....too much water could lead to loose stools. In fact do less until you see how/if it affects them. I just clip it off with scissors, cats like it too.

I'm sorry but I get such a laugh out of threads like this. The most harmful thing in the grass from outside would be fertilizers and weed killers, even if you don't spray, doesn't mean the neighbors don't over spray and it drifts into your yard. That adds into the diarrhea possibility.

As for birds, dogs, cats or other "very, very harmful things" that may be there have ya'll seen a hay field? They're not sterile, they're not covered to protect them from things, but yet this is the number one ingredient in every chin pellet feed. So by theory the risk of these types of things would be would no more greater risk than feeding pellets.

So by theory the risk of these types of things would be would no more greater risk than feeding pellets.

Er, yeah a lot more risk actually considering pellets are created by heating to extreme pressure thus killing pretty much any living thing that could be in them. Hay is also cured.

Absolutely no point in feeding grass so I don't see how telling someone to "take the risk" is even okay.

Last edited:
What about the pet grass they sell in pet stores? I've always wondered about that.

I have fed wheat grass for 12 years with no problems-I leave it out during playtime and they can eat as much or as little as they want. No digestive issues ever.

I didn't say to take the risk, that's obviously what you wanted to take it.

"Curing" hay means it lays out on the ground and dries in the sun.

Pellets are extruded at 180 degrees, that's less than boiling point for water. If it was heated extensively it would break down the nutritional value of it making it pointless to feed.

What Riven said, the hay we feed our chins isn't sterile.

If you live in a city I wouldn't use the grass from your lawn, no telling what your neighbors spray around and water from their yard/ rain can carry chemicals that arn't healthy. If you live out on a farm or in the country and your yard is organic, I dont see the harm.

I would wash it like veggies and dry it and use it as a treat (not their main diet). Seems a lot healthier than dried fruit. =P

Back