Fortified Feed

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric4144

I wanted to clear up what seems to be a common misconception. Bc a feed is fortified with vitamins and minerals does not equate to it being bad feed. All feed whether its oxbow or manna pro is fortified. Fortified simply means that essential trace minerals and vitamins have been added to the feed. This is why one of the big selling lines for all feeds is "a complete daily ration" or "a complete daily diet" Mazuri is a fortified feed as well. Thats why so many vitamin supplements and trace minerals are always listed in the ingredients list. If someone tells you that you are killing your chin because its fortified they are either misinformed or dont have an understanding of what the word means or the various processes of fortification for feed. You can google the word and find information about the process. The most important things in chin diet are protein and fiber then calcium and phosforus then vitamins then traceminerals. If you can find a feed with stable vitamin c all the better. Hope this helps someone.

You know, I don't recall anybody saying that a REAL "fortified" pellet is bad. I have seen pellets stated as being supposedly fortified but are actually filled with crap ingredients that seem to try and broadcast the fact that they are fortified are junk (Such as Kaytee "Fortified" and Charlie "Fortified" etc). I also don't recall anyone saying that if you feed a fortified diet you are killing your chinchilla.

perhaps I should explain further.

Protien should be no more than 20% no less than 15% fiber should be 15% or far greater preferably around 18% or more the calcium phosforus ratio should be no more than 2:1 ie .80% calcium .40% phos. ( not an exact example calcium is usually at a max of 1.06% in better feeds) This is all assuming you feed an alfalfa based feed and a grass hay. Treats high in sugar should be limited if at all (see chin health faq bloat on this forum) treats high in protien should be very limited to much protien damages the liver. I also suggest a feed w lactobacillus acidophilus this encourages good gut flora. Treats high in phosforus like grains should be limited as well with a higher calcium source offered like rose hips (also high in vc) in conjunction so that calcium is not stripped from the bones. Also if you feed a timmy based pellet you should offer free choice alfalfa the protien levels in a timmy feed along w timmy hay is not adequate. Everything else still applies.

Where does that say a fortified diet will kill your chinchilla? I'm having trouble finding where you found information stating such, because I haven't seen anyone say that.

Im not saying they are not crap. Im not defending any feed over another. Im just offerring info thats it. Something people can read when they are told their food is crap so that they can quickly ascertain why. I noticed oxbow advertises itself to be fortified on dr. Foster n Smith a long time ago and didnt think people should be turned from a feed for that word alone. And i dont mean to create defensiveness. Just an informative thread thats all.

This is not about another thread specificly or anything specificly said to me personally. Sometimes it can seem to be implied and the owner may walk away frustrated and not adequately informed. If anyone would like to add any further information on any ingredients they feel are needed like vitamins and minerals or anything they feel is good to have in a good chin feed please feel free to add them. Perhaps we can compile a list that owners can be directed to. Please include any information about the ingredient you can.

Erik, nobody has said that "fortified" is bad. The statements in your other thread were referring to the fact that the particular food you selected was crap not that it was fortified.

Since the OP is arguing the same issue that was closed down in his previous thread. I'm closing this one down too. Advice has been given and this is not going to be allowed to turn into an ad nauseum discussion with no resolution. If you dislike my decision, take it up with Becky or Peggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back