For Cindy!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDZCRanch

RavenousDeadlyZombieChins
So...after hearing a sad sad tale about an evil chinchilla and a pathetic wooden hay box, I felt the need to help out. After spending a good portion of my evening in the garage with my fiance, we managed to make one of these! I think it turned out great and I can't wait to see how Shelly handles it. It went for a short picture shoot and test run with Nut who basically just stood up and got it out of the top after getting mad at the rods. The rods ARE replaceable so if you have a particularly destructive chinchilla... *cough* Shelly *cough* ...the easily destroyed parts are easily replaced. If there's enough interest I might be making a few of these available and I'll also be putting one in the raffle for the Oregon ECBC field day and another one at the CA ECBC field day, both are in October. ;)

They measure 7" tall and 5.25" wide. The space inside is a little smaller, but easily holds a handful of hay.

Attachments

• Haybox1.jpg
    Haybox1.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 172
  • Haybox2.jpg
    Haybox2.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 138
  • Haybox3.jpg
    Haybox3.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 128
  • Haybox Hanging.jpg
    Haybox Hanging.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 111
  • Nut Test.jpg
    Nut Test.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 143
More testing...and then cheating! The audacity of this bad bv girl to CHEAT and not go through the rods! *gasp* I can't believe I raised this chinchilla...:cry3:

Attachments

• Nut Test2.jpg
    Nut Test2.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 126
  • Nut Test3.jpg
    Nut Test3.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 139
  • Cheater.jpg
    Cheater.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 146
Those pictures are so cute! What a little cheater!! I would definitely be interested in one if you decide to make more! :thumbsup:

Beautiful job Tab!!! Let Shelly do her worst!

Thank you! How do you like the rods? They were your idea after all and a darned good one at that. ;) Though...the tool to make the holes does not look anything like the tool I had in my head, lol. I made Tyson go with me to get me what I needed.

Thank you! How do you like the rods? They were your idea after all and a darned good one at that. ;) Though...the tool to make the holes does not look anything like the tool I had in my head, lol. I made Tyson go with me to get me what I needed.

It's exactly what I envisioned!! What tool did you use? PM me if you want... does the tool make bigger holes? I need another hidey house and I'm going to try to make it myself this time. If the tool makes bigger holes I'm thinking it'd be great for the door.

I know the tool you need for the doors and it's not the same. I'll go take photos of the tools and send them to you so you can see what they look like. I inherited tools from my friend that used to have chinchillas and until I got his toolbox...I had no idea how to make a lot of the things people make, lol.

YAY!!! I'd like to see Shelly try to destroy that box. I just showed her the pictures and she's super excited. Although she did ask me if that was the same Nut that bit me. :D Silly Shelly.

Ooooo I wantzz!!!

And, no offense Cin, but I have 100% faith in Shelly that she can and WILL destroy that. Just sayin'.

Hehe

No worries, Cindy. You get three replacement rods so she can go to town on it. I doubt she'll be able to do as much damage to it since the rods are round.

I'll have the package out to you on Monday since I got all crafty and got it all done tonight. ;)

Shell and I are doing our happy dance. Do I need to send you my addy? Can't remember if you have my office addy. Pm me my total and your paypal too. SUPER EXCITED!

I have your address, but not your office address. I'll let you know the price once I get to the post office. ;)

Nice!!! I would be interested in a couple if you decide to make more.

What would be the cost with shipping to 80247???

For two hay boxes the shipping would be $10.95, Lynn. I can fit two in a medium flat rate box. I'm trying to figure out fair pricing for the boxes before I offer them for sale. I'll post in the classifieds when I have some available. I'm a horrible procrastinator so I don't want to start promising hay boxes then slack off like I'm prone to do. :duh: I also have a couple long distance trips coming up before school starts again so I'm not sure how much free time I'll have.

Price will be $12 per box or two or more boxes at $10 which doesn't include the shipping. I had Tyson calculate the price for the materials and decide on a price based on that and the effort I put into each box + the wear on our tools for each box. I'm going to start making the boxes and I'll post later in the week when I have some available.

Each box comes with 1 replacement rod and will be stuffed with some random goodies I have lying around which include but are not limited to willow coins, mulberry coins and bites, apple coins, pear bites, pecan bites and yucca bites.

sounds yummy! how are the boxes at containing the hay? my boys like to tear out a piece, nibble a bit, throw it to the side, then grab another peice!

It contains hay very well, Nut had fun pulling single pieces out through the bars or she cheated and pulled some out of the top. It's not easy for them to pull a huge chunk out and make a mess in the cage.

The boxes measure 7" tall X 5.25" wide and about 5" deep. These are the measurements from the outside of the box, the space for the hay is smaller because of how thick the wood is but it holds a good handful of hay.

I'll post in the classifieds when I actually have some for sale and I'll answer further questions on there. The ad should be up by Wed or Thurs depending on how fast I can make the boxes. The tools are making my hands hurt so it's going a bit slower and I'm having to get creative to keep from stressing any part of my body too much. ;)

Back