FN 141 or 142?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saraleecake

I'm planning on getting my 2 chins a Ferret Nation, just not sure if I should go with the 1 story (141) or 2 story (142) right now. Money is a little tight so I'm kind of leaning towards the 141 since I am going to be ordering the Bass pans also.

Do you guys think that the 141 would be big enough for 2 chins? Also I saw in the Ferret Nation thread that some of you have the 143 add on unit, if I purchase that later down the line would it end up exactly like the 142?

Their current cage's dimensions are 30"L x 18"W x 36"H and if I go with the 141 their L and W would be bigger, but they would also have a good 12" off the height. (141's dimensions 36"L x 25"W x 24"H)

If only they wouldn't jump so hard on their ledges like a couple of sugar high kids and start bending the bars of the cage where the ledges are attached. :banghead:

Also is the 2 story Feisty Ferret Cage comparable to the Ferret Nation? It is a good deal cheaper and I can get free shipping from Amazon.

I feel so indecisive about these things! Ahhh! :tantrum:

I believe if you purchase an FN-142 from ferret.com they have a regular ground base shipping option that is flat rate at like ~$5.99 USD. One of the advantages with the FN-142 setup from the start is if your chins for whatever reason ever start to scuffle it is easily converted into two separate well sized living spaces. However, you are right it is an expensive investment to get into considering even at a good price with the extra pans you usually are hard pressed to find a deal for less than ~$200 USD.

I have to say though after now that I own two of them I'm pretty sure I wouldn't go back in time and not purchase them. They are very well made and structurally sound. Even my heavy all metal flying saucer doesn't strain the metal used for the barred panels.

Also is the 2 story Feisty Ferret Cage comparable to the Ferret Nation? It is a good deal cheaper and I can get free shipping from Amazon.

I feel so indecisive about these things! Ahhh! :tantrum:

honestly i have the fiesty ferret cage and 2 ferret nations, I HATE THE FIESTY FERRET CAGE!!! being that it only has 2 doors its so much harder for me to clean..i like my full door access!!

also id go with the 142...what IF you ever decide to get more chins, you can seperate the levels ..

honestly i have the fiesty ferret cage and 2 ferret nations, I HATE THE FIESTY FERRET CAGE!!! being that it only has 2 doors its so much harder for me to clean..i like my full door access!!

also id go with the 142...what IF you ever decide to get more chins, you can seperate the levels ..

This totally helps me cross out the Fiesty Ferret cage. My current cage only really has 1 large door so its really hard to clean also. I was looking forwards to something easier to clean ^^

No one really answered this yet, but it might still be too young of a thread but does 141 + 143 come out equaling to 142?

141 + 143 come out equaling to 142 - yes it does :D

A 141 would be fine, however if you purchase a 141 now and then a 143 later as a add on, you will end up paying around $280 (based on ferret.com prices) just to get the same thing as a 142 which cost $200

It would be well worth it to go w/ the 142. It isn't a ton more than the 141 and you'll save a boat load by not purchasing the 143 later.
You can go with ordering the bottom bass pan and leaving the middle open. If you go that route, be sure to put in plenty of shelves, hammocks, etc., to break their fall if the should slip or something.

I don't know how tight you are on money but I just ordered the FN 142 for $214 shipped from Amazon. They have free shipping on it right now! (I think I checked this a few weeks ago and they were charging, I may be mistaken though.)

You can go with ordering the bottom bass pan and leaving the middle open. If you go that route, be sure to put in plenty of shelves, hammocks, etc., to break their fall if the should slip or something.

I didn't think about that! It would at least save some money on the middle pan for now since I do have extra fleece and wood for more shelves and stuff to cover the area. Thanks for the idea :thumbsup:

I don't know how tight you are on money but I just ordered the FN 142 for $214 shipped from Amazon. They have free shipping on it right now! (I think I checked this a few weeks ago and they were charging, I may be mistaken though.)

Yeps, I was planning on ordering from Amazon also because of their free shipping right now.

Hey

Does anyone know where I can get one of these cages (or similar) in the UK?

The cheapest I can find is £299 (about $450!!) and that doesn't seem fair!! :wacko:

I've been searching all over the net but can't find anything :banghead: I really want to get a larger cage for our 2 new chins.

Emma

I have the FN142 and love it for our one chin. Being a more room is better person I would recommend it. We bought bass pans for the top and bottom but don't really like using the top on so we cover the plastic in fleece. If you can sew your own liners it saves money expecially with fleece being onsale since it isn't used as much in spring.

I would go with the 142. If you ever have to split up your chins, you can do so easily with this cage.

you may have already made your decision...........but i have one chin in the feisty ferret, it is a decent cage and has served me well over the years, however the wire bars are thin and from one of my chins wall surfing and bouncing on the shelf, one part broke.

i have a 142 plus the 143 add on and another 142. definitely go for the 142. if you ever decide to get another chin, you could always add on. and the bass pan really only needs to go on the bottom shelf, you can leave fleece on the top one if you leave it in OR just put lots of shelves & hammocks and/or fleece covered tubes!

I ended up buying the 142 and did a price match at Petsmart to kennelvet. Also got the 3" bass pan for the bottom while the top I made a HUGE ledge/shelf to cover the same dimensions as if I had a pan there.

Its still pretty empty right now but the boys love it already. Gotta add more stuff to it later. So far I have a fleece tube on the way from alli of camphor chins to see how they take to fleece. :D

Alli ships quickly so you should have that chube soon. I also think you are going to be happy with the cage. Edgar immediately loved his and he has enough room that I never really worry about exercise even though he gets his daily hour of attention always.

Back