Flying Saucer

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inzeos

OK, so I've had a flying saucer in with our first rescue Cheecher's now for like 3 maybe 4 weeks now. I rarely see her actively using it like she used to use her craptastic plastic big box wheel. Her old wheel is long gone; however, I'm wondering if people have chins that never take to the saucer?

She is a great chin but doesn't not like to be held, so I don't think it is practical to try and place her on it with reward to see if she'll use it.

I'm debating picking up maybe a Chin Spin to see if that works better for her. Although I'm not excited about wheels with partial wood pieces. The saucer was originally attractive since it would be quiet since her cage is in my home office.

my chin took to her saucer right away and uses it everyday. I have heard from other people, though, that it can take a while for a chin to show interest in it. I would give her more time to know for sure if she'll use it or not. I love mine and it was the best accessory I have gotten for my chin.

I have 5 chins and only 3 of them used the saucer at all, but even then it was mostly just a surface to lay on. They all love their ChinSpins. Resale values are very good on both if they don't work out for people ;)).

Mogwai already knew how to use the FS when I added Gremlin and Gizmo to make the trio. Gremlin figured it out within the hour, but Gizmo took over a week and still makes me laugh the way he "bounces" on it, hopping along like a bunny rabbit. Gremlin runs like he's trying out for NASCAR. They all use and love it.

The cage with my quads has the CS, and they all love it, too. I'm thinking of getting one more of each so they can all have a choice. THAT should be interesting. It's just that two would take up so much floor space.

It took my chinchilla a good month to figure out how to use her flying saucer, and now she uses it day and night. I think if I could figure out how to hook up a generator to it, I could power her light bulb and night light with it! :dance3: I wouldn't give up yet, sometimes it just takes them a while to figure out the hang of it (and it doesn't seem to help if you try to "teach" them how to use it - I used to try to put Izzie on there and try to show her how it worked, but she would have NONE of it). Or, as mentioned before, the resell value is very good and you could try out a chinspin.

All of my chins use their FS, some just more than others. None of them had a problem learning to use it. I think Sam took the longest and that was only about 3 days. They had never had a wheel before either. They just figured it out on their own. Maybe I have genius chins. :dance3:

Give her a bit longer. She may very well be using it when you aren't around, who knows? There are also wheels such as the Silver Surfer wheel from chinchillas.com That wheel doesn't have a wooden back, but is a but more $$$ from my understanding.

I put in a chin spin with Chalupa and she was running away on it within a couple of days. I put a flying saucer in with Patch and it's been 6 weeks and I hadn't seen him using it. Well just a few night ago I was laying in bed and I heard what I thought was one of the chins trying to drink from an empty water bottle. I thought it was odd as I change their water every night. I got up and went to check on them and as soon as I walked into the room the noise stops and Patch was sitting on his ledge looking at me. But the flying sauce was still moving, so he had been running. He just didn't want me to see him. I'm glad I know he's using it now. I too was just getting ready to take it out and buy another chin spin. Patch is so funny, now that I caught him running on it he runs on it all the time.

Latest posts

Back