Fleece Lining Filler

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godofgods

In a few months i might be able to make my girls some fleece linings for there FN cage. Which would rly come in handy (if they dont destroy it) because one of them will no longer use the litter pans. And she seems to go alot.. all over the tray. ><

I was wondering what kind of filling ppl use for the center. Pretty sure ill be needing something that can absorb a good bit.

when i used fleece liners i just always used another layer of fleece in the middle. it absorbed well. the only thing i suggest is when you wash them don't use fabric softener.

I use bath towels as well, I just fold them down to fit in the pan and wrap my fleece around it since my cage has a slide-in pan. The smell can stay pretty low for about a week with my one chin, but I try to change them at least twice a week to keep everything fresh.

I use terry cloth...something noteworthy :) Fleece liners tend to smell after a bit...I would NOT recommend using detergent. While it's been mentioned not to use fabric softener...a LOT of detergents have a softening ingredient in them. I use white vinegar to clean my liners...sanitizes...removes odors...doesn't cause them to lose absorbency! Best of luck :)

Fleece liners tend to smell after a bit...I would NOT recommend using detergent. While it's been mentioned not to use fabric softener...a LOT of detergents have a softening ingredient in them. I use white vinegar to clean my liners...sanitizes...removes odors...doesn't cause them to lose absorbency! Best of luck :)

always good to know. I hadn't thought about using vinegar in a washing machine before.

I make 3-plys and for the middle I do the cheapest fleece I can find - normally anti-pill solid colors.
PRE-WASH fleece however you're going to wash it first BEFORE sewing (shrinkage).

I use a towel. They tend to be perfect (or almost perfect) width, so I just cut to length. The towel absorbs really well and gives a bit of extra cushioning, so I find its worth it for the extra hassle pinning and sewing.

I just use fleece with no filler. I haven't had any problems with wet spots or smell changing them twice a week. Any cotton will do if you want more absorbency. When we had guinea pigs which drink and pee a whole lot more we would lay down towels and then fleece. Every 2-3 days we'd roll the fleece up and change out the towels. The fleece got changed every 7-10 days.

I wash with no odor detergent and vinegar put in the bleach section of the tray for our front load washer. If you are getting pure fleece it should not shrink. It's suggested for allergy sufferers and conditions that might lead to pests living in the bedding for that reason. You can wash and dry it on hot without shrinkage to destroy anything on it. Good fleece takes abuse very well. We have some heavier weight fleece than you'll find in stores as dog blankets. My 3 yard hunter green one and the small pink one in one of the kennels have been used by the dogs for 5 years without a problem. They eat their raw meals on them and we can just throw them in the washer on hot to clean it. It pays to buy quality fleece.

I use the vinegar in the washer, about a cup for 6-8 liners in a load, with hot water.

Cuz it's better to clean with hot water, and I do my wash at the laundry mat and it's the same cost whether hot or cold. Whatever the vinegar doesn't kill off, the hot water should. I do my regular clothes in warm water, I guess I don't really know why, that's just the way I've always done it.

my mom was the opposite. When i was growing up i had to wash everything in cold water. I don't ever recall using a different temp.

I used old towels too!

my mom was the opposite. When i was growing up i had to wash everything in cold water. I don't ever recall using a different temp.

Hot water used to make colors bleed and cost alot more. These days everything is colorfast and energy efficient, so its not as much of a worry. I think hot water and vinegar would be perfect. The viegar smell is gone as soon as its dry and helps strip the dirt/smell away. I used it on puppy accidents to kill the smell. hot water helps kill germs and get things clean.

Back