Fleece cage supplies

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't use furry- I'm not sure about cuddle, I've never seen it before. The only two types I use are blizzard and anti-pill.

I agree, the types you want are the Blizzard or anti-pill. None of the shaggy or super furry stuff. You don't want there to be pieces that your chin can chew off.

Copy that.
I was curious about that myself; do the chins not chew on the fleece toys at all? I'm a bit suprised they don't nibble on the edges.
And in a related question, when you make your chin little pillows and such, do you stuff it with filler, or more fleece? Or can I maybe use pine shavings to add a subtle but fresh scent.

I have a few ideas for my cage theme, but of course I'm having a hard time finding the fleece patterns to make it happen. I'm not sure if the walmart near me still sells fabric, but if they do, do you think that would be a safe enough place to make a purchase? Or is it safer to order online? I would of course wash the fleece prior to putting it in the cage, but are there certain detergents that are better than others? I was wondering if maybe like, Dawn dishsoap, being its gentle enough to use on duck and other animals in oil spills, maybe its gentle enough for buddy? Or is that commercial just playing with my weakness for animals to get me to buy Dawn? ;p

I'm sorry for so many questions, but I dont wanna get my lil guy sick.

Chins may chew on them, but they usually give up because fleece is pretty hard to destroy. It can, however, be done and some of my chins have done it. The reason we all use fleece is because it doesn't thread like most other fabrics, so the chins aren't ingesting threads or getting the threads wrapped around their toes/paws. If you notice your chin excessively chewing the fleece and destroying it, it would be best to take it out.

WalMart would be fine to buy your fleece. It's a good idea to wash it before you do anything with it anyway, because it shrinks horribly. That way if it is pre-shrunk and you have to wash a pillow, hammock, liner, etc., the product won't shrink more.

I stuff the pillows with scraps of fleece that I have left over.

I just use regular detergent to wash all of my fleece. Do not use fabric softener, though.

Last edited:
i am back from walmart with ideas and supplies!

Im leaning towards a pond-type theme... I already have on order a dark blue hammock, a nice water color... I'm going to make little goldfish chin-buddies, and lily pad pillows, and im thinking a big frog face or a bigger goldfish to make a pouch to stick Buddy's hay in. I think I'll make a sun or lily pad hammock, after I receive the one I have on order, bc Im not too sure how to put it together yet, and once I have one in my hands to give me the general idea, Itll be easier to create the ideas I have stuck in my head;p
I've seen some people with triangle shaped tents they hang from the tops of the cage... maybe I'll work that into my theme somehow....

I picked up some extra fleece to perhaps make liners- depends on how Buddy likes it.

All these Ideas, and no clue how to make it happen...
Wish me luck! :D

Good luck! Making stuff for the cages is so fun. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I know how to make just about everything...hammocks, liners, pillows, etc.

Pillows I have down, I remember that from home ec in highschool.... as for liners... do they need to be sewn as well, can I just cut fleece to fit the size of the cage? I've made him a froggie pillow he seems to like sitting on, and a little goldfish pillow he cuddles and rests his head on when hes relaxing, so apparently hes a fan of the fleece friends.
My new questions is regarding litter pans... if i am to introduce Buddy to a litter pan, and suggestions on what I should use? For the pan, I mean. I had a small pan in his cage which he already flipped over, so I figured I'd pick up something a little larger and sturdier, perhaps a small glass bakewear pan, just looking for some input :)
Thanks in advance!

I use the pyrex baking pans and they work great - a little shallow though if you have diggers...

I picked up some pyrex, and so far its been working great! I found a 3-pack... the largest I kept for baking needs;p The others are a 3 cup and a 6 cup pan... I started with the 3 but Buddy just kicked the shavings all over. I switched to the 6 cup, and so far so good! He seems to only pee in the 'litter pan' now.. now if I Could just get him to poop in there too, we'd be good to go :p

Latest posts

Back