Fleas and Chins? Help? Anyone?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velm

I'm just chinchillin'
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum. And new to Chin owning. Before you start to worry, I want to let you all know that NO I haven't gotten a Chin yet, I still have lots of research to do and want to get experienced advice and tips. (Even though I've spent most of my summer vaca researching)

Anyways, my sister recently went on vacation and asked me to babysit her dog while she was gone, her dog had fleas. A lot of them, and now I've been finding them in my house. I'll walk across the carpet and see them on my socks and legs. I've been using baking soda and salt to reduce population, but sadly that doesn't rid them forever. I wanted to know if Chinchillas can get fleas. I've read about the web that they can't and their fur is too dense but I wanted to make SURE before buying and putting my Chin in danger of these blood sucking boogers.

Also, if anyone has any advice on how to rid of fleas without harsh chemicals, please let me know. They're driving me crazy!

If you have fleas on your feet and legs then you have a big problem. Since you have no animals, I would flea bomb. Chemicals or not, it's the quickest most thorough way to get rid of fleas. If you don't want to do that, then get some diatomaceous earth, cover your carpets and furniture with it, let it sit for several days, then vacuum. Repeat in a week, then as necessary. If he was in your yard, then it's not going to do any good unless you treat your yard as well. They will just come in on you when you go out in your yard. I used beneficial nematodes, sprayed them all over the yard, and it did an awesome job.

I would not bring a chin into the house until the fleas are under control one way or another.

Or you can get a floor spray from the vet, I believe it's called syphatrol?

As above if they're jumping on your legs and stuff, it's not a little problem, it's an infestation. And your sister's dog needs treated as well. Without animals in the house fleas will start to eat on people too...

Beneficial Nematodes? Where can you get them? We get fleas in our yard from all the stray cats and i would like to be able to use something that is safe for birds. Diatomaceous earth is useless if it gets wet and the morning dew here is pretty heavy.

Back