Flattening rolled hardware wire

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

NOLA Chins

Anyone have any hints or suggestions for flattening 4-6' pieces of 14g wire cut from a roll?

Thanks

Heavy wood on the edges to flatten it out, leave it like that for a little while. (day or so maybe?)

Rolling it in the other direction might help some, too.

I just roll it out and put whatever I have around that is heavy on top of it. I usually leave it for a few days or so.

Thanks for the replies. I can get the supplies to build two 2x2x4' cages for $100. Seems easier to just build what I want rather than messing about with donated Superpet cages.

Isn't it fun?? Best luck I've had is to roll it back the opposite way, but obviously not as tight! It'll take practice! Maybe 2-3 times! Put on gloves!
When stapling, do one verticle side fully, first, and then the horizontal sides, alternating top and bottom, while pulling taut - should come out perfect! Convex side towards you!
Another tip - don't even try to measure the screen - count the open squares, twice, and mark with a marker, and cut as close as you can to your verticle edge, so you've no sharp ends!
[I've only cut about 1000 ft. of it]

Last edited:
Rickman-

Thanks, that's something I'll try too, the rerolling. My railroad gloves are already well used. Didn't know the kids would want blood from me, too, but I have certainly been shedding it working with the wire.

I am aimimg for a cage held together with j-clips and no wood frame, but instead wood shelves to help give the shape. I want to leave a cutout for a Bass pan, too. I have a Martin's cage I will try to copy. After I come to my senses, I'll go with staples and a frame.

++ staples and a frame, i just took my quality cage a part and did a TON of work on it. pictures soon. but i built a frame for it. it so much sturdier and quieter as well.

My husband and I usually turn it over then walk on it while pulling the wire up towards us in the opposite way of the curve. I don't know if that makes any sense, I wish I could just show you, it would be so much easier.

Latest posts

Back