Flagstone perches

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tati121

I accidently stumbled a website that has flagstone perches and although I've been shopping around for a bit for Watson's new FN 142, I've never seen these before! I did a quick search on CnH and it seems as though they're not very common? I currently have a fleece hammock and some fabulous cuddle ledges/tubes for my little man but I personally dislike the look of fleece because it looks kinda tacky (but he likes it so I have to deal with it haha) and I like the idea of a more natural looking perch for him.

The flagstone perches seem to be good for cooling him down during the warmer months since they keep cool and I found a site that has a good variety of them in all sorts of shapes.

Has anyone used this website before?? http://www.chinontherocks.com/index.php/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.browse&category_id=3

Is there anything I should know about these perches? Are they chinny chew safe?

Thanks! :)

Several members have ordered from them and they are a reputable site.

To my knowledge, they are safe to have in the cages (and are not chewed on because of their hard nature...they are not like a soft pumice).

My chins love flagstone perches, and they are safe. I love them too as it's so easy to clean them + they are good for chinchillas' feet. It's best to avoid 100% flat surface, and stone perches have an irregular surface. I also use round perches.

The main reason they aren't really common is because of the price. The site is very reputable though. You can also check your local stone/rock stores to see if they have flagstone pieces that are the right size. You would just then need to drill holes in it, glue in the hardware and hang in your cage. :D

they are really nice and if you have the money go for it.

Crysta--did you ever try to drill & glue in flagstone?? it seems so heavy i would be so nervous that it wouldnt stick. i guess if you drilled far enough it would work.

just curious if anyone has done this on their own. since my guy is pretty handy i wouldnt mind having some options to provide him.

My chins love flagstone perches, and they are safe. I love them too as it's so easy to clean them + they are good for chinchillas' feet. It's best to avoid 100% flat surface, and stone perches have an irregular surface. I also use round perches.

To clean I would just spray it down with some vinegar and water correct?

You can also check your local stone/rock stores to see if they have flagstone pieces that are the right size. You would just then need to drill holes in it, glue in the hardware and hang in your cage. :D

I live in Manhattan soooooooo I don't exactly have a local stone/rock store or a local feed store either haha but I will definitely order from this site now :)

I have a few flagstone perches and swings from chinsontherocks. I think you should call him, his number is listed on his site and he has an ad running on this forum. Very easy guy to deal with and at times he has offered free shipping for orders above $50. I know that he sandblasts all of his perches and then installs the hardware. Some pieces are very heavy but they work well in my FN's and I have not had any problems with them. I also clean them as I would the rest of the cage (mixture of water and vinegar). I'm pretty lucky as his business is just down the street from me :D.

Last edited:
I have a few flagstone perches and swings from chinsontherocks. I think you should call him, his number is listed on his site and he has an ad running on this forum. Very easy guy to deal with and at times he has offered free shipping for orders above $50. I know that he sandblasts all of his perches and then installs the hardware. Some pieces are very heavy but they work well in my FN's and I have not had any problems with them. I also clean them as I would the rest of the cage (mixture of water and vinegar). I'm pretty lucky as his business is just down the street from me :D.

He's getting such good reviews I'm definitely going to get some perches from him?

What sizes did you get for your FN? I'm thinking about getting a couple of the corner perches in both sizes and maybe a few reg perches in XL.

I'm not sure if the corner perches will work in the FN. The corners in FNs are weird and I know the corner shelves don't really fit in them well.

Crysta--did you ever try to drill & glue in flagstone?? it seems so heavy i would be so nervous that it wouldnt stick. i guess if you drilled far enough it would work.

I haven't, but they specifically make drill bits for stone. As for the glue, I don't know how well it would hold. There has to be something out there that works well though since this website uses it. :p

I've got mostly perches and 1 hanging perch (sorry, not swing).

Here is an old pic of one of the cages that was set up with the hanging perch and a regular/large sized perch. I don't have any of the x-large perches.

DSCN2228.jpg

DSCN2240.jpg

I'm pretty lucky as his business is just down the street from me
Sandi, you're a lucky duck!

To clean I would just spray it down with some vinegar and water correct?
Yes, you can use vinegar or hydrogen peroxide to clean stone perches. Then rinse or use a wet paper towel if you do not remove them.

I think the price is fair. It's not easy to make stone perches. I know this because I tried to make stone perches. You can not predict shape and will waste lots of stone without experience. I think he invests a lot of work in creation of his stone perches.

I'm not sure if the corner perches will work in the FN. The corners in FNs are weird and I know the corner shelves don't really fit in them well.
The corner perches did not fit well in my Quality Cages too. I'd recommend buying regular perches.

I've got mostly perches and 1 hanging perch (sorry, not swing).

Here is an old pic of one of the cages that was set up with the hanging perch and a regular/large sized perch. I don't have any of the x-large perches.

DSCN2228.jpg

DSCN2240.jpg

I know others have said it before but... I want to be a chin at Sandi's house! :thumbsup:

I have one like the one on the door in Sandy's picture up there, and it seems that the bolts are actually caulked into the holes rather than glued. That said, I've had this perch in there for a year and it's by far Crash's favorite. Well, half favorite. He likes to sit with his hind end on the manzanita perch (also from CotR) and his front feet on the flagstone one. :whacko: I don't ask...

Latest posts

Back