First dust bath questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KujoSutefanii

Just a few quick questions, how old must a chinchilla be before they can have their first dust bath?

And how long must mom wait after giving birth before she can have her dust baths again?

Last edited:
I think mom you would want to wait at least a week. *shrug*

I use litter only in pee corners typically so my cage can have a layer of dust along the shelves and bottom. My baby chin was rolling (well trying, it didn't work out for her) in the dust that collects from the adults baths at a week old. But I don't think they need a bath for a while and I'd be afraid of them inhaling the dust in an actual bath, they don't seem to be the most coordinated creatures that young. Baby fur seems really thin too so I dont think you have to worry about it getting matted from not bathing... =S

Good to know. What age do you start giving the kits baths or do you just let them hop in with their mom's if they feel like it?

I dust breeders twice a week and growers/show string daily for at least a month to 6 weeks prior to showing. The babies get a dust bath with mom when they are ready to hop in.

My breeders are dusted once a week and the growers are dusted 2-3 times a week. I can't dust daily or else their skin gets flaky and dry, which happens when your humidity sits around 10-20%.

I do once a week and babies go in with thier mothers. I dust the chinchillas in a separate cage while I clean their cages. If a chin's coat is starting to look greasy in less than a week, I will give it an additional bath.

Latest posts

Back