Finally :D

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoveBug

Well ladies and gents,
my husband and i brought home a cute little standard female chinchilla tonight. My heart is still pounding like crazy cause i can't believe we finally have one. Her owner said she was born in April. Her name is Fluffy, but we plan to change that. lol. So i may need help naming her.

She was on pooey food. So we're hoping that she'll eat the Mazuri. She is located in our living room, and is very very aware of every sound and move. She did kack at me, i was by the cage putting stuff in the bottom (on the way bottom rack) and obviously didn't like me being there. Which is understandable. She has been making grunting noise, so i'd assume that she's calm since she was partially sleeping when she did it. But not so sure?.

We brought her home and then went grocery shopping. We came home i looked in the cage and oh boy did she have fun while we were gone. She had her hay all spilled out. her food dish flipped over (we're trying to figure out what to do about that). and a giant pee spot with quite a few turds on the shelves. and her bottle was knocked down. it's a glass superpet. we got it with the cage. sanitized and scrubbed it good. but only a spring came with it. how do we hook it to the cage so it doesn't fall down again?? She did explore her fleece items, since we seen bedding in the fleece house and in the tube. But for right now she likes to sit on the back shelf on the bottom level behind her hammock.

My husband is very loud so i've been giving him the stink eye for making so much noise. Obviously i'm gonna be very protective of her.. lol.

But just thought i would let you all know. Once she's settled in i will start taking pictures and show them to you all :)

Congratulations!!! I can't wait to see those pictuuuuuuuures

The water bottle is supposed to come with a little metal hook/cradle thing to support the bottom of the bottle. If yours doesn't have you, you should consider buying a second. You should always have a spare bottle for when one is being cleaned or just in case something happens. Then you can just use the metal piece for both of them.

okay thank you, we'll have to look at our local pet store hopefully they have the bottles there. since the next closest pet store (petsmart/petco) is 45 minutes to an hour away.

Aww, congrats!!! She sounds like a little fluff ball of energy.

Can't wait to see pics.

:thumbsup:

I have my water bottles outside the cage, so just the nozzle sticks through, and it rests on one of the cages cross bars. This way you can support the bottle with just the spring. Let me know if you still have questions, its hard to explain! Two of my girls tip their food dishes so we have coop cups for them. There are several companies that make them; ours is a Snap'y Fit by Midwest (maker of FN).

Little grunts and kacks are normal. Hopefully she will settle in soon. Looking forward to pics!

Congrats! I believe Petsmart has the Lixit & All Living Things (name brands) glass water bottles in the bird section if you can't find them in the small animal section.

okay, we're gonna do what momenteller said for now until we can get to Petsmart/Petco and then we'll pick up another bottle since we have to get a bottle brush from there anyways. since we didn't find any at Walmart or Petsense (our local petstore).

thanks everyone for the congrats :)

i can't wait til she feels at home and not scared of us anymore. it does look like she slipped fur a little bit. but that's normal when they move to a new home right?

woot! big congrats, Keisha! I know you are happy to get her home - and while she may not know it yet, she is gonna be one super spoiled happy chin!

we have a couple that seem to like to do the food bowl flip - I am looking at making some shelves with the food bowl holder cutouts on em for the little farts if they continue doing it (some of the folks who make/ sell shelves make some cool versions of these - extra horizontal board with ~4" round cutout to drop bowl into)

looking forward to some pix, too

You can also buy the twist and lock crocks, they hook to the cage with a wingnut so no spilling. And they twist off for easily dumping out old food or if it has poo in it.

oh yes she will be spoiled that's for sure.

we're just gonna get a coop cup that bolts onto the cage. i woke up this morning. looks like she had some fun again since her fleece pillow that we didn't attach to the cage was on the opposite side of the cage of where we put it and her terra cotta pot is flipped over. we left the tv on so that she had some kind of noise.

she hasn't drank any water yet, and i'm not sure about hay. since we gave her quite a bit and she decided she was gonna move it all over her cage lol so i can't really tell, i am gonna order critical care today just incase she doesn't eat. she has managed to chew quite a few sticks though so i'm glad to see that.

can't wait to show you all pictures :)

this was taken from her previous owner. this is fluffy, name will change. But figured i'd let you see a sneak peak at her :)
fluffy.jpg

Oh, she's a cutie! The first thing I did when I adopted my chin was to rename her, too! lol. Give her some time to settle in and get used to her new surrroundings, but I'm sure with you spoiling her, she will be just as in love with you as you are with her!

I'm soooo happy for you! I know your little girl will be rotten!! All that "other stuff" just lead you to Fluffy! :thumbsup:

Maybe its jsut me, but that pic doesnt look like a 'standard'. Maybe more beige? But im not all to sure.

Dont worry much about the knacking. That will happen with a new home. My first boy Chico would knack and get highly defencive if you even walked anywhere near his cage when i first took him in. Much less at his cage.
Now a days he is the most lovable chin out of my 5. It will just take time for them to adjust.

yep we're letting her settle in, we have a sectional so i sit on the side to where i can see her. I haven't really seen a personality yet so the name process may take awhile.

once i started getting the cage and fleece i just couldn't wait anymore. but knew i had to since we didn't have everything yet, but then when the lady offered me Cinnamon. we had to three days to get everything built and then she wanted money for her and i wasn't gonna do that. And then we found Fluffy online so i asked her what she wanted for just her and now we have her.

She is standard, the picture had a flash making her look lighter than she really is. She's been kacking and grunting. She's kacked about 5 times but that's because we have to walk by her to get into our living room. But she just kinda looks at us, and then continues on to what she's doing.

Also, do i have to keep sound on for her at all times? We left the tv on last night for her, but we'd really not like to do that all the time.

But i think we may name her Baby just because she really kinda responds to that. She'll tilt her head at us or open her eyes wide at us when we say it. And it kinda fits her, she still is basically a baby and plus my favorite movie is Dirty Dancing..

by all your posts on here i thought you had one xD well congratz and i know she will do good with a very informed mother to take care of her

congrats!!!! she is lovely :))

my boys both kacked at me when they first came home, and Rhino until recently would kack whenever i touched his bum (he now leans into my hand a bit when i scritch his bum, lol). she'll settle in soon, i'm sure.

and i do the same thing with my superpet water bottles, just use the spring and hang them on the outside of the cage, with the spout resting on a cross bar. they stay pretty secure that way.

You don't need to keep sound on all the time. That is just a matter of preference. We turn everything off when we go to bed at night. You can use a dry erase marker to mark the water line on the water bottle. This is the easiest way to see if she's drinking or not. Weigh the pellets with a gram scale. She may not eat or drink much the first few days. One of my girls did this and it scared the crap out of me. But yes, it is a good idea to have critical care on hand just in case.

Latest posts

Back