Fertility question for breeders

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Encantadora

LvL Chinchillas
Breeders, do you find fertility (litter size) to depend more on the male or female? Do females tend to have certain size litters no matter what or do Certain males have mostly larger litters?

I find, and have always been told, that it lies in the female. Generally a male is either very fertile, fertile, or not fertile. The total number in the litter is determined by the female and how many eggs she produces. No matter how fertile a male is, he can't inseminate eggs that aren't there.

If the male is questionably fertile, then it could be a matter of not all of the eggs were fertilized. But usually it's more the female, because if one sperm will make it there, usually two or more will as well.

I've been told that litters of 2 tend to have litters of two. Which is a good number that ranchers would shoot for, mom could take care of both and didn't have to worry about caring for larger litters.

That makes sense.

So in simple terms, females tend to determine litter size and males fertility would then determine how quickly she gets pregnant.

And yes, I very much agree that smaller litters are ideal for nice healthy babies and fewer problems overall. I have been told about certain ranchers who have been known to kill some kits so the others get more milk. That is a whole other topic, but I don't see how that would change the size they are destined to become after weaning.

Last edited:
I have seen that it depends on the male as well as the female and the general condition of the herd.

Ronda has a line that throws litters of 3-6. The males out of that line produced very large litters with females that were out of lines having smaller litters.

In the same hand, females that we knew had very large litters (out of the above line) often had small ones with certain males.

Been wondering why for the last 12 years, but there is definitely a pattern. Some males throw larger litters than others. Maybe it is because they do the job better, it is definitely inheritable, whatever it is.

Females determine litter size. Males determine what sex they are. If a male doesn't have a high sperm count it is safe to say that not all eggs will get fertilized. If a male has a high sperm count then the probability of more eggs getting fertilized goes up. I have a very prolific male whose girls always have 2-3. Most of the time it is triplets. On the same note I have bred some of these same females to another male and they give me singles most of the time.

Females determine litter size. Males determine what sex they are. If a male doesn't have a high sperm count it is safe to say that not all eggs will get fertilized. If a male has a high sperm count then the probability of more eggs getting fertilized goes up. I have a very prolific male whose girls always have 2-3. Most of the time it is triplets. On the same note I have bred some of these same females to another male and they give me singles most of the time.

Yup, People always forget it is the same in people and animals. You can only have as many babies as eggs momma produces.

Back