Ferret Nation ?s

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

HaleyGoBoom

Alright so I just bought the FN 141 ($40 :D)

It's in perfect condition but does have a plastic bottom tray and shelf. I like the shelf but was wondering about fleece covers or something.

Could I do a fleece liner that just goes around the plastic on the bottom? I'm not sure how the liners work.

For the shelf, I did want a large shelf in the cage (I will have ledges to put it in as well) but I don't know about the plastic that's above the metal part. It doesn't look like there's any exposed edges, but would that be something to make a liner for if I wanted to keep the shelf? Like cover the plastic then just slip it back in the metal part.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! :]

-Haley

I sold my shelves and plastic pans on Craigslist. You can make slip covers for the plastic pans, but you will get more poo everywhere vs. having a Bass Pan or something similar.

I just took pine made ledges and shelves and placed all over. I dont trust the chin to have that plastic one that comes with the cage.(SHELF)

Yeah that large shelf it comes with, is neat but I think it's a lot more fun for them anyways to put a lot of pine shelves everywhere. And it does take up a lot of space you could use for smaller shelves, tubes, accessories, etc. I also don't like the plastic pans because they are so shallow...just my $.02

I ditched the included shelves as they put a damper on the creative possibilities with the FN cage. I would order the Bass pan so you can contain some of the flying brown tic-tacs and find someone to make you some kiln-dried pine ledges with poo guards (or buy them from someone on here). And get creative with fleece accessories!

I've ordered a fleece tube and hammock (that match my room :]), I wonder if I could do a fleece liner but in a deeper pan? And how much do deeper pans cost? I'm all spent on accessories, I bought another cage a week or two ago that's now sitting in my garage b/c I found this deal lol.

I might be getting some ledges from the owner of the chin I want to adopt, but where online can I look for a deeper pan?

I got rid of the shelves & ramps mine came with but I kept the pans. I use fleece liners in the pans & don't really have any mess at all. If you're not using fleece liners though or have a known plastic chewer, I would invest in the bass pans!

Yeah, you can do them by hand (literally, I sat there watcing TV and hand sewed mine...I guess it would help to know somebody with a sewing machine). I just measured the dimensions and added an inch just in case and then sewed two layers (some people on here do three or put a different material as absorbent in the middle) into the corner and pulled it inside out so there was less exposed stitching...and sewed the corner shut. speaking of which I think I need to make a couple more sets.....ugh.:wacko:

Alrighty, well I think I'm going to make my own :] Any other advice or tips for FN cages?

Alrighty, well I think I'm going to make my own :] Any other advice or tips for FN cages?

As long as you got your pans and shelves figured out...you're pretty much good to go. They are nice and roomy so there is lots of room to work with as far as accessories go. Also, it's nice because you can add on more levels later...and I cut the hole out bigger in the middle (not a lot bigger) but I did it so they would have more space to jump through. And Bass will do any size pans...

OH! Another cool tidbit, I put fleece over the top of the cage, clear down the back of the cage and over part of the sides and put one of the plastic pans on TOP of the fleece, on TOP of the cage to store stuff...kind of nice for extra storage and they can't get to it because it's on top of the fleece. :D

Well now that my furry creature we all love is an ocelot...I need a bigger cage.

First two pictures are of my room so you can see how it matches, the cage is sort of empty :/ I'll figure out what to fill it with later.

Ignore my crappy kaytee supplies I'm ordering better stuff!!! :D

Last edited:
Back