Ferret Boxes

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brittney

I went to the Phoenix Pet Expo this afternoon just to look around. I got to talking with a couple who makes hide boxes for ferrets. They are made out of wood and they can custom make them however you want them. I thought this was a pretty nifty idea and might buy one soon.

Do you think the chins would even use it or do you think it would turn into a giant chew toy? :hmm:

http://www.ferrethideaway.com/

It's no more of a chew toy than any other wooden house that you would use for chins.

I don't think the door hole is big enough and I don't think a liftable roof is a good idea. It's possible a toe, leg or body could get squished and broken

Looks like a bird breeding box but with a smaller whole.
I used the pine breeding boxes for birds I get cheep at the pet expos every year for houses for the chins here.

It looks okay to me. I would think the incidence of having a broken leg would be pretty slim, or they wouldn't make them. Ferrets legs break too. You would have to have one chin jump at exactly the right time to land on top of the box as the other chin was scampering out, and even then I would think it would be a rare instance of anything breaking.

I would double check what would they use before ordering. It doesn't say on the website.

And is the finish that they use OK? I know it says "Soy based, non toxic" but find out what else is in it.

Dookie Houser Burrows for Ferrets and Small Pets

Hello!
We here at Dookie Houser are pleased to answer some of your questions regarding our burrows. All the materials used for the burrow are non-toxic including the sealer, paints, glue. We use Acri-Soy Sealer. Completely renewable and makes the burrow easy to wipe out when necessary. There is no lingering smell from the wood or the sealer. We would be happy to send you the MSDS sheet for the sealer.

The lid is very safe. We use velcro to hold the lid closed so it's not banging up and down when your fuzzies are wrestling or snuggling in their burrow. The lid gives you easy access to your little ones and easy access for cleaning. We took one of the burrows to a local vet to ask his opinion about the lid and he is in agreement that small pets are pretty smart and wouldn't get hurt by the lid.

As for chewing, well some do and some don't. We sold several burrows to Any Rat Rescue and most are still intact. It seems that if the burrow is shared between many pets, moved room to room, they tend to chew on it in order to make it theirs. If it is only used by one or two, they seem not to want to chew it.

We've expanded our product line to include burrows with larger openings (including arches) to accommodate larger pets. However, most small pets like small, dark spaces. It's where they feel safe and we provide a very safe, beautiful, enclosed burrow just for that purpose.

Please don't hesitate to contact us with any questions at [email protected]

I sure hope you'll check us out at www.ferrethideaway.com.
Thank you for your interest and Happy Holidays!

Back