Female vs male pairing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessers

Just a quick question about pairings for everyone. Would you say that female and male pairings have less fights then same sex pairings or the other way around?

Opposite sex pairings have less fights, IMO - never had a bad one here.
Never saw them 'make-up' after a fight, though.
Have had deaths here with same sex pairs. It only takes a couple of minutes.

I have had a female attack a male before. I also have had a female kill her mate... I have not talked about it but it was one of the worst things I ever saw. I just broke down after seeing that sight... he was the most gorgeous boy...

I have never had a death here with same sex pairs. I did have one female turn on and attack another though.

Unfortunately, I too, have had a female kill a male chin. He was in the cage for 8 hours with no problems then bang. It was horrible. I had paired many same sex chins (usually for adoption) and have had no problems. I find that female same sex pairings are the hardest. I have had people who bought youngsters from me for pairings have problems later on. I has been very few though and the problems were solved with neutering of the males

The males here get along better than my females. I have 5 females in a cage. When I am in the chin room sometimes I hear them making noises. I just raise my voice and tell them to knock it off and that they better get along.

Well I don't have experience with females but I think it depends mostly on the chin, not so much their sex.

I have had all male pairings. I have had 2 fight here resulting in deaths, and had to separate a trio due to fighting. I have one pair that has been together for about 3 years now.

I think same sex pairs are easier. If I was a pet person I would definitely just do same sex pairs. While they may fight, they are less likely to kill each other. I have seen plenty of same sex pairs kill each other, but opposite sex pairings have been crueler to each other.

The females aren't necessarily meaner than the males. I've had males kill females because the female didn't want to be mated or some other vague chinchilla reason. I've had females kill males when they come into heat. I've had males kill males because of dominance problems and I've had females kill females for little to no reason.

Each chinchilla is different and their attitude towards other chinchillas will be different. Same sex pairs are easier than opposite sex pairs because they aren't trying to procreate as much (same sex pairs still have dominance humping and males getting "it" on). There's not a huge difference between female to female pairs and male to male pairs.

cool thanks, I thought that females and males would get along better but i guess it depends on the chin themselves. Though this is an interesting subject to me

Back