Feeling so SAD!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yummychinchillatoys.com

yummychinchillatoys
I have a handsome pit who is/was a wonderful dog. I have had him since he was six weeks old and he is now nine. Recently he has become really aggressive. I don't know why. He loved everyone till recently. Anyways, last weekend we went out of town to Pismo Beach, CA and stayed the weekend. When we were leaving and walking out to our car I had both my dogs on the leash and when we got out to the parking lot this guy was walking up and my pit lunged at him growling. He's never done that before. Well last night my daughters best friend, who lives next door and is always over here and my pit knows him, came over and my pit jumped up and bit him in the face. He didn't break skin, thank god, but it scared my daughters friend pretty bad. Anyways I have 4 kids so I always have at least 3-4 of their friends over everyday and I can't have a dog who I can't trust around kids, so my husband and I have made the tough decision to have him put to sleep. It really saddens me. I love my dog so much but I just can't take the chance of him really hurting someone. We have an appointment with the vets on Feb 14th to have him put down. Happy Valentines Day to me. :(

Oh I am so sorry! I know how much they are a part of our family. We have a pit mix that is a huge part of our family, and such a love bug. My thoughts will be with you.

That is so sad. I had a friend whose friendly schnauzer did the same thing. She had a necropsy done after putting the dog down. Turns out the dog had an inoperable brain tumor that , of course, changed his dispersion.

I wonder if there is something going on internally with your dog, causing him to be aggressive, especially since it has come on so suddenly.

I am so sorry you are going through this. It is difficult to say goodbye to a family member.

Thats the first thing that popped into my mind.. At nine years old perhaps it is a tumor. Pits are well known for cancer :( My 5 year old has had 3 cancerous tumors removed already.

I am so sorry you have to put him down :( . It really sounds like there may be other health issues going on here, and if thats the case its better for him, too. *hugs*

I have found that many animals as they get older like us get health issues that changes everything.
When there are sudden changes like that it is most likely that something is going on. Hearing, sight. That would bring the element of surprise and bring a reaction since they can't hear or see well. Pain, well that makes any living creature becomre retreived or agressive. you just don,t know.
When it is only once, I would think the element of surprise may have been the cause, but if it is become regular, I would look into it with a vet visite.
Very sorry for what is happening to your puppy.

My cousin had a pit puppy who kept randomly attacking them. She ran and bit my cousin in the vagina and had to have surgery done. the puppy was put down and come to find out there was a tumor on her brain that when it applied pressure on a certain spot it triggered her to be aggressive. That's my first thought when i was reading your post.

Thanks guys for all your niceness. Reading your posts it made me start thinking and the last couple months I have noticed that he hasn't listened to me as much, like he wasn't hearing me. He's always been a fantastic listener and very obedient. Makes me wonder if he is loosing his hearing.

some dogs just age like people and develope symptoms very much like Alzheimer's.Esp since he is a larger breed,they tend to age faster than the small ones.

Sorry to hear that, our pit is 10 months old, and I could not imagine your pain. I am sure that your dog's personality must have changed due to health issues, hopefully you can find out why and have some type of closure.

Thanks everyone for the support but I'm having such a hard time dealing with the fact that in a few days I won't have my dog with me anymore. He is the first dog I bought. I just feel there has to be something else I can do. Am I doing to right thing by putting him to sleep?

If you feel he is dangerous, when will he turn on you ? Try to look at possible issues . Or what if he bites someone and seriously hurts them .... Could you live with yourself ? Just try and think that this is for everyone's best interest no matter how much it hurts.

You can try a vet visit and talk with the vet before hand. You can see if they have the technology to scan for a brain tumor... You can try bloodwork. It's suspected, although not clinically proven, that if the t4 level is elevated it can trigger sudden onset of aggression... You can try a full thyroid panel. You can try a behaviorist( not an obedience trainer, a true certified canine behavirist) should the vet visit pan out normal, and see if they can offer advise.

There are some things you can attempt first before just putting him down if you would like..

The only pit I've ever seen get aggressive out of nowhere was an 8 year old girl that had cancer. It wasn't a brain tumor, but she had cancer and that felt so aweful to her that she didn't want to be touched or have anyone near her. We found the cancer and the owners opted to watch her at home. Once she started snapping at them, they had to bring her in to be put to sleep. She was a great dog, but dogs in severe pain will lash out.

You can have the vet do diagnostics before putting him to sleep. I don't know that it will make a difference, nine is a pretty good age for a pit unfortunately and they are very prone to cancer.

I agree with a vet check. If you can afford to run some basic blood work and maybe some xrays, I think you should. You should also consider quarantining her some where off limits for the kids- like your bedroom perhaps. Once you have the test results, you can make a decision based on that and if she is sick, at least you know you are putting her down because she is sick and you will know the reason behind it. I am sorry for the pain you are feeling right now.

He's not aggressive towards me and my kids it just strangers so far. That's why I was so shocked that he jumped up and bit my daughters friend. He lives next door and is always over at my house and my dog knows him. For the past month or so we have been locking him in our room when people come over or outside in the backyard. We have excluded him on almost everything. Walks, playing outside in the empty field next to our house, ect.. I feel like everytime I come in from a walk or something that I didn't take him on he is looking at me like "mom why didn't you take me". It makes me sad.

Excluding him can make it worse. Why haven't you been taking him on walks? You easily stop people from Petting him, but still let him have excersize and release some pent up energy.Are you on www.pitbullforum.com ? I would post there, specifically look for red. She can be a little firm, but is wonderful and has helped with my dog.

Latest posts

Back