Feeding Nipples

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feistychins

The Chinchilla Lady
Just wanted to let people know about a great product for hand feeding kits. A couple of years ago I found it frustrating when trying to feed kits using the eye dropper method or using a plain syringe. The kits did not seem to like either one and the 'one drop at a time' could mean a small drop or a large drop of formula.

I met a woman who lived near me who has been doing squirrel rehab for many years. She has a ton of supplies and when visting her one day I saw several types of feeding nipples that she sold. After purchasing a couple of different ones in hopes that one would more resemble a chin mom and thus making hand feeding kits easier and frankly more pleasant for the kits, I narrowed it down to this one:

http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/product/589/mothering-silicone-nipples-by-classic.htm

I attached it to a 1cc syringe and I have had excellent results with using it. It always gives you one small drop of formula and the kits love it! I have actually had some even suckle it. In my opinion it is far better than anything else I have ever tried and I would never hand feed without one again.

It looks huge in the photo, which of course it is not.

I also looked a bit further into the web site. They have alot of nice extras including homeopathic remedies. The kits with remedies are cheaper at Washington Products Inc. ( for those of you who use them )

Yes, I use homeopathics for our animals and I agree that Washington Products have great prices and are very fast to ship.

Thank you for sharing this! I just ordered 50 tiny nipples...lol. I have been dreaming these up in my head for years, and never thought I would actually ever find one! I am so excited. They have bag balm as well, and other good stuff.

When I had to hand feed for the first time years ago I was not comfortable with the eye dropper at all and the kits did not seem to like it either. I could not believe there was not some kind of man made nipples that would be closer to a chin mom (as unique as they are). This woman has a couple of different ones available, but when I tried them the hole at the end was either too big or too small. Then I tried the one I have a link to and it was perfect. The kits take right to it. The kits actually will melt right into my hand (almost like they would with their mother) and knead my palm while licking or suckling. I have never had them react this way to any other method. It is very easy to control the amount given.

I am so excited to try this, and I have been speaking with a woman who was given 2 pet store "girl" chins, later to find 5, yes 5 babies born to one of them. She watched the whole birth, and I have pics that she sent me of the tiny babies. She did not have a scale, but they were small, all under 28grams I would say by the pictures. Their feet were not quite developed yet, they looked like frog's feet.

Only one made it, and she is 50 grams now at 2 weeks. She had been feeding the kits KMR-via the vet's advice (grrr!), until she found me and got the proper milk. Now the little one is doing better on goats milk, and she is so excited about these nipples too, I told her I would send one as soon as I get them. I bet they make feeding less messy as well. What a great find!

The kits take right to it. The kits actually will melt right into my hand (almost like they would with their mother) and knead my palm while licking or suckling. I have never had them react this way to any other method. It is very easy to control the amount given.

aww....good to know. Handfeeding can be so frustrating. Anything to make it easier!

Back