feed cups

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a bunch of those metal cage cups that have a ring that attaches to the side of the cage on sale. The big problem is that EVERYONE of my chins that have the new cups have gotten the cup out of the ring and dumped all their food. Is there a way to attached the cup permanently to the ring so the little buggars can't remove and dump?

I have had sucess with drilling a hole in the cup and either securing it to the ring with wire(of course watch the sharps) but I plan on fixing the next ones by drilling the hole and just putting a small screw through the hole and securing it very tightly with appropriate lock nut( drill hole-put cup through ring-then put screw in to keep the cup from being able to be taken out of ring permanently). I think the screw/nut will be easier to permanently secure with less chance of injury from using wire even though I haven't experienced any wire injuries I think it would work better.

Those are good ideas! I've had to remove most of the cages with these types of cups because the chins remove the cups. It's too bad that there isn't a little metal tab that fits right over the bowl and is directly secured by the fastener on the ring.

I've been giving away these types of feeders for years or repurposing the bowls for various exiting uses.

I am one of those aggraviting tinkerer fixer-upper people. I even purchase the small metal condiment cups to drill holes in and secure to travel carriers with screws for a small amount of food esp if railroading an animal.

I was tempted to glue mine onto the ring for a while there, but now it is just slightly under the ceramic hay holder next to it and that seems to be enough to discourage the tipping… which is saying something for my stubborn chin who usually finds a way around anything!!!

I primarily use coop cups, but my cups have a dimple on the side so it locks into the ring. The only time my chins pop them out of the ring is when they're empty, thus making a ton of racket for me to come and fill them back up. I'm sure you could just take a hammer and some blunted tool to make the impression.

MaveRick used to do that. I attached his to the corner of his cage so that the bars on the sides of the cage (and bowl) held the bowl inside the ring and he can't get it out.

Rose & Lily (degus) were doing the same and theirs was next to a shelf so I put the edge of the bowl beneath the shelf so they can't get it out.

Worked for them. So far the others haven't moved theirs.

Latest posts

Back