Feed Change!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to the feed store today and got the bag. Of course I had to go in the back and make sure they pulled the correct one. The bag I got is dark blue and it says NEW on it and the bunny is black & white. I think I got the right one.
Tonight will be my first night of mix, I will see what happens.
In Jersey the 50lb bag was about $13.50, which is the same price as the PANR I think.

A couple of my chins have started loosing weight. :mad: So I'm going to try the Manna Pro Show. My feed store is going to order it in for me since they don't usually carry it. I'm going to try it for a month and see how it goes.

I have been using manna pro sho for the last 3 years with great results.Excellent feed!
Bob

Just got the show formula yesterday. Starting my guys on the switch. So far, only 2 seem to be readily eating it... *grumble*

I don't know how well the Fiber3 is doing yet - been mixing the other three feeds just to use them up. I finally used the last of the pro yesterday, down to the Manna Pro and Fiber3.

Any updates on how the chins are liking the PRCS vs Fibre3? We'll be needing to finally switch from PANR soon, so we're trying to decide which to go with (or possibly Manna Pro)

Last edited:
Well, I'm still mixing in the last bit of PANR, but both of my groups are mostly on the new pellets and doing well. I haven't seen any changes in poo quality and everyone is still bright eyed and bushy tailed. Fur quality/condition looks the same as when I was feeding PANR alone.

My Fibre3 group tends to eat more pellets than they did on PANR. I'm not sure if thats because they like it better or because they feel they need to eat more. Most of them have stayed the same weight, a couple adults have gained some. I have two growers on Fibre3 that are doing well and also gaining (as they should).

I've had mixed results with the Show. Two lost a little weight, one is getting quite fat on the Show (was chunky to begin with and now has rolls of fat) and another who is typically underweight has gained some on the Show.

I'm waiting to see what happens when the PANR is completely out of the picture, but right now I'm leaning towards Fibre3 or possibly mixing the two.

I'm complete swapped over the the new Purena Show. I've been mixing it with wet cob and senior equine. Since I use the big tubs I can get 2 50 lb bags of feed with approximately 10 lbs each of the wet cob and senior equine. I try to mix it up when my tub is completely empty so that the feed can sit sealed in with the cob and senior so the feed can absorbe some of the taste of the goodies. I've had a probably 30 chins or so digging the goodies out of their feed. I've been letting them clean up their feed before feeding them again. Slowly the food diggers have been decreasing once they get used to the food.

I'm having horrible luck here. I switched them to Nutrena at the end of December and had about 12 not want to eat it. They would dig it all out. Now they are on Manna Pro Show and have 4 not eating it well. One not at all and has gone down hill big time. She normally weighs 870 grams and is down to 670 grams. She is eating hay and supplement. I've been pushing the hay and benebac to her. Hopefully she will bounce back. She won't take the critical care. Took her to the vet and they feel it is all dietary-no surprise really...just really sucks. She had a 5 week old kit on her that I pulled today. I think she needs to work on herself. The kit is eating pellets, hay and drinking water. I'm going to hang a goat bottle for him. So her kit is with another kit I weaned this morning. Hopefully he will thrive.

Don't know what else to do.

Jessica

Well, I'm still mixing in the last bit of PANR, but both of my groups are mostly on the new pellets and doing well. I haven't seen any changes in poo quality and everyone is still bright eyed and bushy tailed. Fur quality/condition looks the same as when I was feeding PANR alone.

My Fibre3 group tends to eat more pellets than they did on PANR. I'm not sure if thats because they like it better or because they feel they need to eat more. Most of them have stayed the same weight, a couple adults have gained some. I have two growers on Fibre3 that are doing well and also gaining (as they should).

I've had mixed results with the Show. Two lost a little weight, one is getting quite fat on the Show (was chunky to begin with and now has rolls of fat) and another who is typically underweight has gained some on the Show.

I'm waiting to see what happens when the PANR is completely out of the picture, but right now I'm leaning towards Fibre3 or possibly mixing the two.

a few of mine have lost weight on the PRSC, but i am going to give it another couple months.
am curious though, how much is the Fibre 3?? The PRSC was about 13 for a 50lb bag in my area.

Most of mine totally rejected the Nutrena and lost some weight :( So we are trying other things now.

They gave me Fiber3 for the price of PANR because it wasn't put it in their system. Will see what it is the next time I go.

Thanks.
I went back thru the thread and saw that we posted the ingredients of the PANR versus the PRSC however; I didnt see it posted the new formula PRSC versus the Fibre 3.
does anyone have that information.

I really hate to keep switching these guys around, but i also dont want weight loss. I am dealing with mostly rescues and pet only so they are little to begin with. I have only a couple that have broken thru the 700g level. I need to beef some of my guys up and either I am fighting a losing battle OR their dietary intake is lacking.

Chins by nature are lean animals. Judging by weighing alone won't work, I judge by feeling them. You should be able to feel ribs, but not spines or protruding hip bones.

A poor quality feed will leave a fat belly but you'll be able to feel the spine. A good quality feed will leave good muscle mass, ribs and no spine. A fatty feed will create fat all over the animal and lead to obesity issues. :))

When a chin gets very dehydrated you'll also be able to feel it's spine. Not sure why, just something we noticed at shows.

Fibre 3 Analysis

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
Crude Protein (Min)....................................................15.00%
Crude Fat (Min)..........................................................2.00%
Crude Fiber (Min).......................................................20.00%
Crude Fiber (Max)......................................................25.00%
Calcium (Ca) (Min).....................................................0.80%
Calcium (Ca) (Max)....................................................1.30%
Phosphorus (P) (Min)..................................................0.50%
Salt (NaCl) (Min)........................................................0.20%
Salt (NaCl) (Max) ......................................................0.70%
Vitamin A (Min).......................................................... 4,650 IU/lb

INGREDIENTS
Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Ground Soybean Hulls, Wheat Middlings, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Cane Molasses, Ground Oat Hulls, Wheat Flour, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Soybean Oil, DL-Methionine, Iron Oxide, Copper Sulfate, DL-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Calcium Pantothenate, Nicotinic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin, Yeast Culture, Biotin, Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Extract, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Dried Yeast, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Ferment Product, Dried Yucca Shidigera Extract, Cholecalciferol, Cobalt Carbonate, Manganese Sulfate, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Selenite.

Last edited:
Fibre3 was a few dollars cheaper than PRCS for me. I'm paying $18 a bag for PRSC now...I think the Fibre3 was $16.

I've been on Purina Fibre 3 for a little over three months now. It has been a good feed, no runny poos, fresh every time I pick it up, everyone eats it.

My issue is with the pregnant ladies. The litters I had (same moms) after being on this feed were 10+g less in weight when born and are only gaining 1g a day. The ones born most recently are the smallest (40g-50g) and gaining the slowest, I've started supplementing moms with oats/equine senior and it has picked up a bit. Even my single kits are coming out in the low 40's. Four months ago the same mom had a 67g kit.

Normally my babies gain 2-3g/day. After doing a bit of reading I am finding that rabbit folks are experiencing the same thing.

Put in an order today for the Purina Professional Rabbit Chow in the brown bag. We'll see how that goes.

Was any consensus actually reached regarding the new Chow Show Formula and the Fibre3? I going to have to try one of the two now that my PANR is getting low and am not sure which. My boys pretty much eat anything and I didn't gave issues in switching in the past from what the breeder gave me, to what I had first bought, to PANR when I heard it was better.

Back