eye started to pop out!?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chin_Pig

i went and picked up two chins that my friend is adopting and i noticed one chin's eyes were a little crusty and a whitish goo consistency was in the corners of his eyes. i rinsed them out with saline and i held the eye lids open (i didnt force them open just held them down where they were) on one eye and his eyeball came out part of the way! i pulled his eyelids up and over it (like he wound be shutting his eye) and it went back in. is there any reason for this to be happening. (shallow eye socket or something??)

he is fine now but i have never had that happen tot me and freaked me out!

i just want to know if this is something we need to watch out for or if its not messed with it will be fine?

He could have an infection or some type of disorder like glaucoma. Does it seem to bulge out more than the other eye? If so, do you know how long it's been that way?

It could be nothing...but definitely keep an eye on it (haaaa, sorry, I made myself laugh). I can see how the eye may have appeared to pop out a bit...I had a chin do the same thing back a few years ago and I talked with the vet about it. It never did it again or appeared to be strange ever again so he didn't go to the vet for it.

It would be a concern if the eye is bulging out all the time. If that is the case, you may want to take him in just to have it looked over.

It looked normal before and after it went back in. Kinda reminded me of the lady that made it in to the Guinness Book of World Records for the distance she could bulge her eyes out.
I put a little bit of anti-bacterial eye ointment in both eyes. We will have to watch it for now.. freaked me out though!!

thanks!

Yep...that's creepy! That's what happened with that little boy. I wasn't cleaning his eye, he was in a pouch and the edge of the pouch rubbed up against his eye lid. I looked down and sort of freaked out a bit and then it went right back to normal. He was fine and never had it happen again.

i have never heard of that happening before but i would freak out if my chins did something like that. though its not like i can talk seeing as i can make my eye make squeaking noises. im a real hit at parties(not) it tends to gross/freak people out.

i wouldnt worry about the eye as long as it doesnt happen over and over again. if it did that then i would look into it.

Latest posts

Back