Eye issue

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScarlettSugoi

In the last few days I've noticed something. Pixel off and on keeps his left eye half closed. There is no gunk or wetness coming from his eye or around it. And he doesn't do it all the time. My dad talked to the vet a while back and he said any eye drops [even for humans] can be okay for a chin. Should I use some? What could be up o_O

As always Im worrying and sad about it.

Normally if there's an eye infection or scratch on the eye there will be either a wetness around the eye or a discharge in the corners of the eye or gluing it shut.

Do you notice it more often after you give him a dust bath?

Yeah thats what I thought. There is no wetness or stuff coming from his eyes at all. And it doesnt look like there is anything on it. Of course my eyesite is not best.

But its been happening for a few days if not a tad more. But its not a 100% of the time thing. He will have it half shut then he will open it again to match his other eye.

And hmm. tonight will be his bathnight. his last one was day before yesterday im sure. or the day before.

should i use the eye drops or just keep watching for wetness or anything

If it doesn't seem irritated I'd be inclined to leave it for now and just keep an eye on it. If there's ever a wetness or discharge then I'd get it checked out.

im looking at him and was looking at his eyes and he is spazzing. fur flying from him jumping all over and he made a sound at me. and now that i think about it he did that the other night. he made a noise at me when i went to pet him which he never does. :/ and should i still give him a dust bath tonight or no

he's making that sound because he doesn't like you messing with him, if there were wetness or discharge you'd be able to see it without having to grab him, so if you're looking that close I don't think there's really a problem.

If it were me, I'd hold off on the dust baths and see if it gets better without them for a while. Sometimes the dust can irritate their eyes. I'd hold off for a week and see if he does it within that week. If it stops then you would figure it were the dust irritating the eye. If it continues, well, then it's probably something else.

But that's just me.

Okay. I will wait a week and see how it goes. thank you so much. Its eased some of my worry. And heh he seems okay with me now. letting me rub on his belly and under his chin. i will hold off on the dust and after the week i will check back with what i find out. epp. thanks again

Hi, is Pixel's eye looks like its swelling? Because i had the same case with my chin Luffy. He had frequent eye inflections from time to time when he was younger.

Sometimes his eyes looks just half close and it stays there for a few days without even healing up . So what i did was i drip eye drops for him. My vet gave me a bottle of drops for conjunctive eye inflection. When i started applying drops on his eye, his eye started to produce lots of discharge.

Later i found out it is not because of the dust-bath. It is because of the extended period of time in the dust-bath. So reducing the time will decrease the chances for it happening again. I usually only put the dust house in for around 2-5 minutes for him to play in it.

Swollen? Hmm it did not look swollen. I am keeping a close look at his eye. And avoiding the dust for a while. See I usually only let him in the dust house for 3-5 min. By then he usually is done rolling in it and is just digging or sniffing/licking. Its so odd cause the only thing that looks wrong is how he will have it half shut. He will do it for a moment then stop and when he stops and his eye is open full again it just normal and matches his other eye. its so odd.

Latest posts

Back