Eye Irritation

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godofgods

Been in this section far more then id like this year...

So i went in to feed my chins this evening and i noticed the skin surrounding chicos right eye was discolored. It actually took me a minute to notice that his fur there seems a little wet at one point.

Chico_eye_01_zps44d3f8be.jpg

Right eye ^

Chico_eye_02_zps583fa1af.jpg

Left eye^

Im guessing he had some kind of irritation today. Im just wondering for specific things to watch out for in case it gets worse.

It could be just a bit of dust got in there, and that he was rubbing to get it out, or it could be a bit more serious, like a puncture wound from a sharp piece of hay (for example). Or it could be an infection, and/or a corneal ulcer.
There's no way to be sure without getting a vet to check it out with some fluorscein dye and a UV lamp.

I'm not sure what you mean about the skin being discoloured... do you mean the dark freckly bits on the lower lid? Those are normal for a beige. The wateriness however is not.

If it's still like that in a day's time, you should get him to the vet for a look in his eye.

If he starts pawing his eye, or the eye waters/discharges more, or starts to squint, then I'd say vet visit ASAP.

If his eye does this repeatedly for several weeks despite treatment, then you'd need a dental check with tooth x rays so as to rule out malo or root elongation.

It never just rains, but it pours, right?!!

i meant the first piece of skin surrounding his eye, where his eyelid would be. It looked a bit pinkish.

Chico is in his hut now trying to sleep but i got a short view of it, it appears to be a bit better. Not 100% but looking a lot better then last night. Lets hope it keeps going in that direction.

I keep Vetericyn ophthalmic ointment on hand in case of eye irritation. It can help lubricate and serve as a disinfectant if it is just scratched and irritated or has a minor infection. If that doesn't clear it up, then it is something that would need vet attention and a prescription for antibiotic eye drops or ointment.

this might seem obvious... but how the heck are you supposed to give a chin eye drops??
That seems difficult enough in general. For me personally, Chico here has a pathological fear of being picked up. When i started picking him up a month or so ago to give him his antibiotics with a syringe, he not only freaked out and hid and shook violently; but he got good at spraying and stopped eating all together. - I cant imagine ever having to give him eye drops...

You might need somebody to hold the chin so you can apply the eye drops or ointment. I normally hold the chin with one hand and squeeze out the drops or gel ointment with my right

yea, he hates that even more. Despite his panic of being picked up, its actually easier for me to handle him that way then in a burrito.

But it looks like his eye doesn't look nearly as pinkish like before. I imagine the wetness that dried on the fur the other day will take a little while to disappear.

Got back form the vet today with Chico. Doc looked over his eye a bit. You cant rly see anything any more on the outside. No real pinkish left and the fur is dried. Doc did say there looked like some small inflammation in there tho, near the tear duct area. - I got Tobramycin Ophthalmic Solution USP, 0.3% (sterile) an eye drop that im supposed to give him. One drop twice a day for a week. So im hoping by next week, the eye problem is gone, and his blood in urine issue is done, and he can be healthy again, and finally get reunited with his son!! (His son Houdini is loosing his patience with being separated!)

May I ask if the eye drops worked? I am in a very similar situation with my chinchilla and I have been doing 2 drops that the vet perscribed daily twice a day for a week.

Did your chinchilla's eye return back to normal? Did the fur around the eye also return to normal after being wet?

I hope everything worked out :) Just curious about your expenrience.

his eye seems to be better at least. I haven't noticed any more wet fur around his eye lately or anything.

He is still scared as **** around me though. Because i had to pick him up to give him the drops and he HATES/FEARS that. So that will take some time... But his eye seems ok'

May I ask if the eye drops worked? I am in a very similar situation with my chinchilla and I have been doing 2 drops that the vet perscribed daily twice a day for a week.

Did your chinchilla's eye return back to normal? Did the fur around the eye also return to normal after being wet?

I hope everything worked out :) Just curious about your expenrience.

If teeth issues have been ruled out, its not uncommon for eye drops to used along with oral antibiotics, preferably sulfa based, not baytril. Let you vet know and they may either tell you to use it longer, or prescribe a oral antibiotic.

YEs thank goodness no teeth issues. The vet checked her out and said her teeth look great and that its just an irritation that needed help healing.

LOL she is the same with me, now that I have been catching her twice a day she no longer trusts being anywhere near me and thinks she is going to get caught. Thankfully only 2 and a half more days of drops per doctors instructions and then I can quit torturing her.

Latest posts

Back