Excessive Pooping?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodgerchick

I've tried to research on te site nd the web but can't find anything so I'm appealing to the "experts.". :). I will provide a background on her to hopefully answer all the preliminary questions.

I have a very healthy pet female chin, that I adopted from a rescue 2 years ago. She was not abused, rather, purchased by a very upscale animal themed restaurant chain to be displayed as part of their "rainforest" menagerie, until the health department told them tropical fish in a restaurant were different than chinchillas. Lol anyway they did the right thing and donated her to a rescue and I adopted her literally a second later.

She eats very heathy -- a small amount of Mazuri pellets and unlimited hay...a special blend that I purchase from the Bunny Bunch chin and rabbit rescue here in SoCal. She gets an occasional rose hips as a treat but almost exclusively applewood sticks that i purchase from reputable source on this website. I stopped getting treats because I couldn't properly police my family and the amount they were feeding treats. Lol

Well, my question is, she seems to be pooping like crazy! We have two other chins that are not even nearly pooping as much. Is she lonely? Is it the change in the weather? Is she stressed? I can't figure it out! The consistency is normal, she is not constipated, not thirsty, she just poops EVERYWHERE! I've never seen a chinchilla poop this much. Anybody else experience this?

Some chins just poop more than others, especially on free feed hay, which is good of course, the extra fiber and if she eats more hay than the others and such. As long as it's normal poo, I wouldn't worry about it!

I agree with Riven. Each chin is different. Chins at eat more pellets than hay seem to poop less, so all the hay (which is very healthy) may be the difference.

I have one rescue like that. Man can that girl poop. She literally covers every surface in her cage everyday. She is a big eater and was really under weight when I first got her. She has packed on over 200 grams sinch she has been here. Lots of poop is good. :clap1:

Back