Excessive drooling

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does sound high as I had posted earlier that 2 different vets from different states that are both very knowledgeable in chins told me no more than .1cc total per day. They both agreed to an additional .1cc after 12 hours of the last dosage per day if he began drooling and pawing at his mouth alot. I did give him the extra dose on 3 separate weeks. My malo chin is currently off of Metacam completely. I would double check as soon as you can with your vet as Jean Marie stated. Good luck.

.4cc's? Wow! I was told by 2 different vets that no more than .1cc one time a day but because he was drooling a little over a month ago, they upped it to .1cc every 12 hours. He was on Metacam twice a day until one week after the filings of all his molars. Drooling excessively is a sign of pain as well as her not eating on her own. I'm sorry but I can't help in the vet department for you but I'll keep you and Polly in my thoughts.

I will double check with Dr. Greek, but I doubt he will say that the dose is too high since that is what he always prescribes. No matter what he says, I think I am going to stop the metacam for a few days to completely get it out of Polly's system. Then I will start giving her 0.1cc a day which should minimize her pain if there is any. Thanks!

It does sound high as I had posted earlier that 2 different vets from different states that are both very knowledgeable in chins told me no more than .1cc total per day. They both agreed to an additional .1cc after 12 hours of the last dosage per day if he began drooling and pawing at his mouth alot. I did give him the extra dose on 3 separate weeks. My malo chin is currently off of Metacam completely. I would double check as soon as you can with your vet as Jean Marie stated. Good luck.

From what I have found it depends on the metacam. I now use metacam for dogs because I can buy it in a larger bottle for much cheaper. With that I only give .05 to .1ml of metacam a day. When I took in a hurt chin though that had seen a different vet he was prescribed metacam that was also .04ml per day. I brought it to my vet and he said it was because it was flavored, which basically waters it down.

The bottle I got says 1.5mg/ml which is the regular concentration for dogs I believe. With the 0.4ml I am giving daily and Polly being 600g, the dose is 1cc per kg body weight which is 10x times higher than recommended.

From what I have found it depends on the metacam. I now use metacam for dogs because I can buy it in a larger bottle for much cheaper. With that I only give .05 to .1ml of metacam a day. When I took in a hurt chin though that had seen a different vet he was prescribed metacam that was also .04ml per day. I brought it to my vet and he said it was because it was flavored, which basically waters it down.

Just talked to Dr. Greek on the phone. He told me that metacam dose for rodents is 10x higher than that for cats and dogs. I don't know if I should believe him. I guess I will need to do extensive research on this before I give more to Polly.

He thinks that it might be normal for Polly to drool at this point since he filed all of her molars as flat as possible, which is quite different from before. Her molars were a little curved before. I will keep observing her for another week before I call him again.

Does anyone have any experience with Dr. Jenkins in San Diego? He was recommended to me by the vet in Irvine.

Latest posts

Back