Empress vs. MCBA

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linda

I hope I'm not opening a can of worms, but what is the difference between the Empress Chinchilla Breeders Cooperative, Inc. and the Mutation Chinchilla Breeders Association?

Linda

Mostly it's location. They are considered sister organizations that work together towards a similar goal. Usually where MCBA is prominent, ECBC is not, simply due to distribution not because there is any we're here and you can't be here or anything like that.

Their shows are different in how they are judged. MCBA puts all animals up against each other, standards and every mutation. I believe ECBC judges standards completely separate, almost their own show within a show, and everything else is considered a mutation. Their grading system is also different from MCBAs.

Both organizations have similar rules when you join and originally it seemed that MCBA was the eastern half of the US and Empress the western, but now they are really starting to overlap with both groups expanding their territory quite a bit.

ECBC's fees used to be quite a bit higher than MCBA's, but that has changed somewhat.

There are many people who are members of both - they do not work against each other or anything like that. It's largely a geographical distinction as Nicole said - ECBC is heavier in the west and MCBA is heavier in the east. The structure of the shows are different, but the chins are judged on the same criteria, so the best chin would win Grand Show whether it was ECBC or MCBA rules.

All of that is correct.

ECBC (also called Empress) has two shows. There is a Grand Show Champion for standards and another one for mutations. MCBA shows are all inclusive.

Empress uses a 10 class system, which means animals are divided by color, but otherwise are shown together, regardless of sex or age. (Well, males and females are divided within the class, but ultimately come together for a final winner in the class.) MCBA divides animals by color and sex and age (under and over 7 months).

The end result is the same- the cream rises to the top.

Latest posts

Back