Emergency Need Advice ASAP

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feistychins

The Chinchilla Lady
I have been in contact with a person who had kits born to a chin they bought from a pet store. She gave birth two weeks after they got her. She had a female and a male. The male was small when born and seem to have trouble nursing so they have been hand feeding him goats milk.

These kits have been doing great....up to weight in the 90 grams range. Suddenly tonight he can't seem to use his back legs. They called me in a panic and I have never had this happen to any kit.

Can someone please advise me as to what to tell these people to help this kit. He is about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks old.

There is a chance, being a pet store chin that he had neurological issues during development, maybe there is a "bad link" in there somewhere and as he grew it put more pressure on it. From every time I've heard of this happening the outcome is not good. Since he was having issues nursing there may have been something wrong from birth anyway. I'm sorry I don't have any better suggestions, other than see what happens...

Well after speaking again with the people who have him, I found out that they had started to rely on him nursing with the mom. They had him living with mom and his sister and thought that because he was gaining weight so well, that he was nursing on his own and getting enough from mom. Not the case because he started to loose a few grams while his sister continued to gain weight. Plus they had cut back to hand feeding him once a day. They had not mentioned this to me initially. I just spoke with them a day or so ago and they had told me he was doing great.

They had said the chin had been running around just an hour before he had this apparent partial paralysis.

So I informed them they had to hand feed this kits every 2-3 hours around the clock for a least the next week or so before extending those hours or he would not have a chance to make it.

I did not heard back from them yet, so I'm not sure how he is doing.

Back