Emergency Kit

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chin_Up_Sunshine

Chinnie Paparazzi
I actually wanted to call this thread: Bug Out Bags or Scramble Bags, but I'm not sure anyone would know what I was talking about.
I'm in the process of creating an all-emcompassing 72hr survival kit in case of a natural disaster (or the zombie apocalypse :thumbsup:), explosion, whatever. This is a bag that has all the basic necessities to get you through 72 hours and is meant to be lightweight (weight is important) so you can grab it and still run/climb/escape in whatever way needed. Basically I just wanted to see what other suggestions people might have to add.
I'm keeping my supplies in a Helion Camelback- a winter backpack with lots of straps and is waterproof with a camelback water compartment. I have an [x] next to items I already own. I'll break things up by section and explain a few of the items on there in case people wonder why in the world I need Tang.

• First Aid gauze, medical tape, gloves, needle [x], surgical thread, alcohol [x], scissors, tourniquet, quick clot, super glue, ibuprofen[x], triangular and compression bandages [x]
  • Hydration iodine tablets (purifies contaminated water), camelback [x] water bottles[x], tang (electrolytes, vitamin c, cuts iodine taste)
  • Food Dried Food [x] Can Opener [x] lightweight pots [x] sporks [x] magnesium fire starter kit, cottonballs soaked in vaseline (fire tinder) [x]
  • Clothing silk long johns [wick away moisture and add warmth) [x] lightweight shell jacket and pants (protect from wet)[x] hiking socks [x] hiking boots [x] bandanna [x]
  • Toiletries baby wipes [x] deodorant [x] feminine hygiene [x] toothbrush [x] toilet paper [x]
  • Camp rope, wind-up flashlight/radio, thermal blanket, tarp, duct tape [x] Handbook: Improvised Munitions[x], first aid handbook, edible plants/animals book, card game (morale) [x]
  • On the Move and Self Defense machete (weapon or bushwhacking), whetstone (sharpener), crowbar (weapon or key), compass [x] mirror (to look around corners or signal) [x]

Last edited:
I don't mean to belittle you or make fun of your preparedness in any way.

I just wanted to say that you remind me of my sister when everyone was in a panic over Y2K and how they would be able to survive!!!

She had food, medicine, cash, guns, you name it -- she was ready. I filled up my car with gas and bought a few gallons of drinking water, and I also filled up my bathtub. I never have cash, but she convinced me to get $200 in small bills in case the ATM wouldn't work or the stores couldn't take VISA.

I still have my "Countdown to the Year 2000 Clock"... :)

ETA: Don't forget to make a list of chinnie supplies, too -- carriers, food, hay, water bottles, dust, apple sticks...

Last edited:
Oh, mine's just an all around general preparedness pack. I live in earthquake/tsunami territory at the moment and since I grew up in natural disaster area (tornado alley meets fault line and flood plain) it's always been something we had to keep in mind because power went out a lot etc.
I remember Y2k (although now the big looming crisis is 2012 I'm told). My youth group put on an apocalypse party and we rented out the local laser tag (got it all to ourselves at a discount too because so many people stayed home "just in case") and ate pizza and played arcade games all night. First time I ever stayed up all night long and it was a BLAST.
Don't worry though, I did my Emer-chin-sy backup soon after I got the boys!

Have you seen Book of Eli or Waterworld or any of those post apocalyptic survivalist movies? It's interesting to see the things that come in handy and are highly coveted.

I vaguely recall actually watching Waterworld, but don't really remember any details. Can't say I've seen Book of Eli. What kind of things came in handy/were coveted? I know water is in Dune though!

In "Waterworld" the guy who hijacked a full oil tanker basically ruled the world. Pure water was the biggie; it was a shock when a guy showed up at a restaurant and ordered the crystal clear stuff. I think he also paid for it with dirt. :)

Where I'm from, we call what you're making the "Oh $#!T Kit". :) I'd add some kind of candy like Starlight Mints to "First Aid". 1- it's a quick blood sugar boost in case of a diabetic crash, 2- mint helps w/ nausea (as does ginger) and 3- the smell of mint staves off hunger pangs and can cover the smell of vomit etc. for someone administering aid.

Under "Toiletries" I'd add a couple of hair bands/pony tail holders, which can work as a small-area tourniquet in a pinch, as well as holding up torn socks/sleeves, replacing zipper pulls and lacings, etc. aside from their intended use.

Under "On the Move" the flashlight could double as a flare/signal if you've got a Staples office supply store handy. Ours has these LED flashlights w/ a white light out the top and a colored one in the base that turns the flashlight into a solid signal or a blinker. I bought the red, but there are blue and purple and pink too. You also get a lifetime supply of batteries if you register the thing w/ the manufacturer, and an LED is going to last thousands of hours (literally; it took 13 years of continuous burn for one of the first ever LED prototypes to burn out). The whole thing weighs maybe 4 oz. and you can always put rocks or D cell batteries in the bottom to use it as a weapon, or store ID/documents since it's water resistant to 10'.

And if it's not already on the list, a good sharp Swiss Army knife or Gerber/Leatherman Multitool might be a good addition too. Mine has a 2" blade, a small saw (good for kindling/splint sized sticks), flat and phillips head screw drivers, a pair of small scissors, and a nail file/can opener. The Gerber will set you back about $50 for a good one, but they're usually lifetime guaranteed.

I also live right in earthquake country, I have the earthquake survival kit and also the cars have at all times a week supply of chin supplies that I change out quarterly.

Like the earthquake survival kit you purchase online? I checked it out and I'm going to add a few of those items to my list: port-o-toilet, glowsticks/shake lights, and dust masks. I'm not sure why I didn't think of a Gerber multi-tool in the first place. I'll have to check what kind of options I have for what it actually has. I'm trying to stay away from items that require me to have more backup like battery operated flashlights. I'm hoping to find a windup one with an LED. I could probably find some films to cover it, too. I'd want a red one for night time at the very least. Red lights aren't as bright so it makes it esaier to see around you as well as directly in the beam of light. Also good for keeping a low profile.

Dawn, what do you keep your chin supplies in? I just have all mine on the shelf with them, but putting them in the car is a better idea. Do you just keep a spare cage in the actual car as well? It's occuring to me I should probably have my spare cage on top because it's not really useful to me if it has an apartment collapse on top of it because it's in the garage.

I have dust, dust pan, food, chew sticks, hay cubes, bottled water, food bowls and bottles. Since they travel all the time, they would have to stay in their carriers but I do have collapsible bridgeport cages in storage at work. San Mateo county had a printout for a earthquake kit, I just bought what was on it.

I know nothing of chins so I may be wrong but isnt dust just to keep their coats looking nice and healthy. Im sure if there were an emergency the last thing you guys would say is "OH Cudas fur looks awful lets give him a dust bath while Im fighting off zombies." So since its not a necessity wouldnt the space be better used for something else?

Just wondering..

My boyfriend is a civilian employee with the Navy. They give each employee an earthquake preparedness kit. In this kit is a rape whistle, and a glow stick. I told him when an earthquake happens, to duck under his desk, light his glow stick and blow on the whistle. :D Obviously...these are very important things you need for an earthquake.:hammer:

Tab the whistle and glowstick are so people can find you under the rubble. So they can hear and see you.

• First Aid gauze, medical tape, gloves, needle [x], surgical thread, alcohol [x], scissors, tourniquet, quick clot, super glue, ibuprofen[x], triangular and compression bandages [x]
    Most of this can be accomplished with regular materials. A roll of duct tape, a clean t-shirt, super glue, and a belt will accomplish nearly all of this and be useful in other situations.
    Medical only supplies I would pack would be ibuprofen and a topical antibacterial ointment. I am not sure what the needle is for, but if you can access the meds you would inject, you can probably get a needle there.
  • Hydration iodine tablets (purifies contaminated water), camelback [x] water bottles[x], tang (electrolytes, vitamin c, cuts iodine taste)
  • Food Dried Food [x] Can Opener [x] lightweight pots [x] sporks [x] magnesium fire starter kit, cottonballs soaked in vaseline (fire tinder) [x]
    You are better off with a pack of lighters or several other wet-start fire kids than a magnesium kit. Have you ever tried to use one? The wal-mart kind are nearly impossible to use.
  • Clothing silk long johns [wick away moisture and add warmth) [x] lightweight shell jacket and pants (protect from wet)[x] hiking socks [x] hiking boots [x] bandanna [x]
  • Toiletries baby wipes [x] deodorant [x] feminine hygiene [x] toothbrush [x] toilet paper [x]
    All things that can be done without (maybe not the feminine hygiene...) in an emergency
  • Camp rope, wind-up flashlight/radio, thermal blanket, tarp, duct tape [x] Handbook: Improvised Munitions[x], first aid handbook, edible plants/animals book, card game (morale) [x]
    50 feet of paracord is easy to roll up and with a tarp makes an easy tent.
  • On the Move and Self Defense machete (weapon or bushwhacking), whetstone (sharpener), crowbar (weapon or key), compass [x] mirror (to look around corners or signal) [x]

The top of my list of things for long-term outdoor survival is a .22 rifle or pistol. You can buy thousands of rounds for cheap and they are light. I have 1 good fixed blade knife (Ka-bar) that I keep sharp and a couple of different multi-tools. The biggest issue for me is keeping everything small enough to conceal. That is why I wouldn't pack a machete when an 11" kukri will do the same and still fit in the backpack. Also some fishing line and hooks.

I am not sure what the needle is for, but if you can access the meds you would inject, you can probably get a needle there.
[/LIST]

I wouldn't pack a machete when an 11" kukri will do the same and still fit in the backpack. Also some fishing line and hooks.

Good call on the fishing gear, but I thought the needle and thread was for stitching large wounds the super glue wouldn't close, in addition to repairing the back pack/tent/jacket, etc.?

Good call on the fishing gear, but I thought the needle and thread was for stitching large wounds the super glue wouldn't close, in addition to repairing the back pack/tent/jacket, etc.?

I would use duct tape for all of that. And Fishing line is great as a thread!

Book of Eli is actually a very well done movie and I think Denzel was great in it. Just dont let anyone spoil the twist for you.

Wet wipe packets, water, and chapstick were very important. Matches and lighters will only last so long, especially if wood is scarce so get some long burning oil (think whale oil/lamp oil/kerosene). Foil also packs flat and can be really versatile. Ditto heavy duty trash bags (waterproof!). Packets of powdered milk, vegetable planting seeds, emergen-C...

But water is always the biggie, and you will eventually run out of purifier tablets - if you wanted to be really prepared you could invest in one of these.

I know nothing of chins so I may be wrong but isnt dust just to keep their coats looking nice and healthy. Im sure if there were an emergency the last thing you guys would say is "OH Cudas fur looks awful lets give him a dust bath while Im fighting off zombies." So since its not a necessity wouldnt the space be better used for something else?

Just wondering..

A evacuation and having to live who knows where in their carriers would be stressful and the ability to dust is something they enjoy. Laugh all you want but it is what I would do for my chinchillas in that situation.

The needle (sewing not injecting) and thread are indeed for stitching together large wounds that glue doesn't hold, e.g. someone has a break and after resetting the bone you'll need something to pull the skin back together and super glue isn't going to cut it. The fishing line/hooks are a good substitute for the thread at least. Sadly, while duct tape works well for keeping rain out, when placed on skin the natural perspiration of the body wears away the adhesive nature of the duct tape (I discovered this from wearing it as jewelry in my weirder years).

I originally wanted lighter/matches, but a good friend of mine whom has done far more outdoor adventures than I recommended the magnesium starter for "infinite" fire rather than "finite" fire. I've been thinking about it a lot and I'm probably going to dip some matches in wax to "waterproof" them and then carry steel wool and a battery as well (the friction of the steel wool across the battery produces flame. Then not only do I have multiple sources of fire, I also have items for barter.

I debated the "toilettries" section, but decided that the few things I wanted to include were double useful. Wipes also clean particles off wounds, deodorant also acts as a chafing barrier and the toilet paper doubles as bandaging (It packs very flat if you unroll it and remove the cardboard). I do think I'm going to cut the toothbrush, though.

I'm familiar with the steripen and been considering buying one myself (bought one for my aunt's last birthday). I'm just concerned about it breaking. I can break pretty much anything. Even nalgene bottles. I'm really excited about the solar powered ones, though.
I still need to sit down and really think about weaponry. I need more practice with a firearm before I decide to invest in one. I also have been comparing various machete's for items like chopping, but I'll look into the knife you mentioned.

Thanks for input everyone! I really appreciate the suggestions! Today I picked up a few bandages and a thermal blanket. I thought about the suggestion for a clean t-shirt, but realized that if I packed it, I'd likely be using it to fend off the elements and I don't really want to detract from what I wear. I did decide against a tourniquet though. I'm going to use a bandanna and hair bands for that instead. Multi-purpose items are best!

Back