Emergency! ears!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TmG

I just put carl back into his cage sense hes been out for about forty minutes. I Vaccumed alittle bit which hes use to sense ive been doing it and he never freaks out. After i have Vaccumed i put my fan on (even though its winter) to make the room alittle bit cooler. I dont want him freezing. I went near his cage and noticed his one ear was very red while his other one was alittle bit pinker. I opened up my window making sure the fan was blowing cool air into my room. His one ear turned back normal while the other one is still very red. THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE! this isnt normal for him. Now before anybody suggests my room is warm. ITS NOT. The heater isnt on and even if it was i have my vet closed with blankets over it so the heat cant get in. My room is ALWAYS cold in winter & SUmmer. Please If anybody noes whats going on help! Ill be checking on him in a few minutes to make sure its not too cold in my room!

Hes not acting normal. Opening up his cage door usually makes him run away. He sat there. I touched his ear its rather warm while the other is normal!

If he has been resting then that's most likely the reason his ear is red. When chins sleep their body heat often makes their ears red. Generally one ear is more red than the other. Wait a while and his ear should become the normal color. He may not have run away from you because he is tired from being out for a while.

Thanks. i hope thats just what it is. THis is my first chin and im really really protective about him and worry about everything. I just checked him again and his ear isnt as warm but hes letting me touch it which is weird sense he hates being cuddled or even pet while hes in his cage. He has been moving around but he hasnt run away from me which is like i said weird. Its still cool in my room im just really worried about him :(

chin may be tired too .....my chin sometimes is very active at playtime....or some days he just romps around a little...I also keep a cooling pad in his cage too they seem to like them to lay on ....

I have a big peice of granite in there for him. He seems fine now. his ear is back to a pink color which there always pink near the base, hes a gray chin and his ears are alittle flaky looking but hes never in pain and dosent scratch at them. I opened up the cage doors and reached out to feel his ear and he tooks off. He seems okay.

Sometimes in the morning, Little Two Paws will be hanging in his tube with very red ears. He has learned that it feels good when Mommy grasps them between her thumbs and forefingers with cold hands for a couple seconds and then he's fine!!!

At first, he didn't like me to touch his ears, but he figured out pretty quickly that it was a good thing!!!

If he was just out playing he might have just been very hot. Imagine running around playing in a heavy fur coat!

Latest posts

Back