Ear tag??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it a small 1/8" tag or a bigger 1/4" tag? If it's tiny it's possibly an Empress tag and you can email them and ask who the breeder is, they've got a database of the active brands. The new MCBA ones start with an M.

There's also a chance it's an international brand, chins commonly get shipped to the states for sale. Most wholesalers will not accept tagged animals nowadays so that's not as likely but stranger things have occurred. :))

Most chin ranchers use the same tag style no matter what organization. Empress does not have a requirement on tag size, style, etc. that I'm aware of.
It is a ECBC brand, all MCBA brands begin with an M, although some ECBC brands can begin with one as well. You can contact ECBC office and see if they have a record of the owner for that brand

As I said earlier... the OP didn't ask for any information to contact ECBC and are continuing to ask so I'm assuming that they're still waiting for Peggy to pull the magic master list of all brands out and present the owner of the brand. It's also possible that it's a brand that was never registered. Ear tags are purchased by the breeder from a company, they are not obtained through the organization so it's possible that someone thought it would be nice to save $5 and just put their brand on, unregistered.

Most chin ranchers use the same tag style no matter what organization. Empress does not have a requirement on tag size, style, etc. that I'm aware of.
They do have requirements. Depending on the age of the animal it may have a large tag. They were phased out so it wasn't so easy for the judges to see the letters. That is also why there is a rule as to where the tag goes and what direction the tag faces so all animals are uniform and can not be told apart. Still occasionally see the larger tags in circulation on older animals, or from old ranchers that are still using them and don't care.

As I said that I'm aware of, but I have yet to see a chin thrown out of a show because of an ear tag that is unacceptable. I have never seen this enforced.

Either way it is possible to obtain tags if you have a registered ranch brand or not, that are or are not of the correct size.

As I said that I'm aware of, but I have yet to see a chin thrown out of a show because of an ear tag that is unacceptable. I have never seen this enforced.
No, you said;
Empress does not have a requirement on tag size, style, etc. that I'm aware of.

And I made you aware of it. Of course they're not going to kick you out for putting the tag in the wrong spot. They're going to tell you where to stick it so one could do it correctly for the next show.

Either way it is possible to obtain tags if you have a registered ranch brand or not, that are or are not of the correct size.
Since they all come from the national brand co. The only way you're going to find one of the larger chinchilla tags is from an old rancher. They don't make or stamp them anymore as there was no market for them after the national organization decided for the smaller tags. Yea, you could get a poultry tag or something but if you'd seen one of the old tags in person you'd understand why they changed. They also do not look like any of the tags currently offered.

Actually I wasn't talking about them being in the wrong spot. I've ear tagged them in the wrong ear before, no one has ever said anything about it. In fact I have a male who is registered in the registry program that only has the ECBC tag, he went through the whole show with no tag and no one said anything if they noticed, even if while they ear tagged him with the ECBC show.
They're going to tell you where to stick it
And actually... a lot of people tell me where to stick it.

And actually... a lot of people tell me where to stick it.
lmao, that was really some terrible grammar on my part. I didn't get time to proof that one.

I think the tagging conventions have gone by the wayside as the agressive competitiveness has gone down.

Easterpiggy - have you contacted Empress yet?

Back