"Dusting"

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoveBug

Does anyone elses chinchilla dust themselves using their bedding?

Right now we have the bedding covering the pans of the FN because we haven't recieved our liners yet. We have given her a dust bath three times since we've had her (Monday). And now she's starting to roll around in her bedding thinking that she's "dusting".. it's rather funny kinda but is it normal??

yes that's the only way we've given her it, since we don't want to take her out of the cage just yet.

She feels dust in her bedding. 3 dust baths in 5 days is way too much. 1-2 a week is fine. Too many will dry her feet and skin and could upset her eyes

we figured that.
and it's been 7 days.
i know it'll dry her out, we're only doing 2 a week.
but my husband didn't know that she could get dried out and gave her one in the morning when i was sleeping. he now knows the rules lol

i agree with everything addicted says and mine does the same

okay, i figured it was just the dust instinct. that she knew theres a dust there and decides to roll in it. but wasn't for sure.

Yesterday one of my boys was trying to dust on a pumice hanging toy, LOL.

I would suggest to give the dust outside of the cage, not only will that keep her from rolling in bedding but it will keep less dust in the cage. It is also not good for you to inhale the dust, so dusting outside the cage is easier to clean up the stuff that makes it out of the container.

Does anyone elses chinchilla dust themselves using their bedding?

Right now we have the bedding covering the pans of the FN because we haven't recieved our liners yet. We have given her a dust bath three times since we've had her (Monday). And now she's starting to roll around in her bedding thinking that she's "dusting".. it's rather funny kinda but is it normal??

i think its normal, my little one wont do it with her bedding but out at playtime she will roll on the carpet. I don't know if its just to roll or to try and dust

Back