DUST EVERYWHERE??Help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PITSTOP64

Hi,
Is there any way around the dust bath mess?
I had know ideal how messy it was & how it spreads throught the whole house?
Any tips?
I dont have a closed in container when they take a bath..Is that a no,no?

A closed in container will help a lot. I have a cat litter box with a hood that I use for dusting. I put it in my bathtub, shut the bathroom door, and let the chins bathe that way. I also bring in my air purifier and run it on full blast for a couple hours after they dust. Once they are done, any dust that got outside the container is usually in the bath tub, so I just rinse it out.

Some people put the dusting container in the bathtub, and that way, when the chinis done dustin, they can just rinse out the tub and the mess is gone.

The mess throughout the house...I would say contain them in a smaller play area, such as the bathroom. Then you can just sweep or vacuum the bathroom up afterwards.

My container has a cover over it...seems to help in lessening the mess.

We use those small dome shaped trash cans, they are only in there for 10-20 minutes and we've never had any respiratory issues or overheating.

Rhino has the green bottom from the green/blue dome topped dust house from petsmart for now, until i find him something made of metal or glass. (he doesn't chew it and it is only available for a short time during playtime)

what i do is put the dust bowl in the knee space (where a desk chair would tuck in) of the desk in my bedroom and use a cardboard box over the dust house with a doorway cut into it. yes, dust flies everywhere in that little space, and my bedroom needs the furniture dusted at least twice a week + a really good vacuuming of the floor at least once a week, but i never see dust from the blue cloud anywhere else in my apartment. Rhino only plays in the small bedroom (10' x 10') and adjoining hallway.

i have to be pretty diligent about keeping the dust levels down in my place, my daughter has allergies where some where confirmed by tests but others weren't (she wouldn't let the doctor poke her too many times), so dust is one of those allergies i'm not sure about her sensitivity level yet. i haven't seen her have any reactions to the dust or hay, so i'm hoping additional 'pokes' aren't going to be needed.

as for the black ikea chair i have in my bedroom...... that's another story! hahaha! the chair is grey more than black most of the time. it is now Rhino's chair, and i don't sit in it or put anything on it any more. thank goodness it's easy to vacuum!

Last edited:
I dust mine in the bathroom and run the bathroom fan while they are dusting. It still gets all over the house, but not quite as badly.

Back