Dried Blueberry?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmor1031

Mikey is a vanilla bean!
Hi, I just purchased a "Kaytee Fiesta Healthy Toppings: Mixed Fruit" treat for my chin. The only ingredients are raisins, dried apple, dried cranberry, and dried blueberry. I know that the raisins, apple, and cranberry are fine for chins, but I was wondering about the dried blueberry? Also, he will only be getting a piece (or less) of this per day, and so far I have not fed him the blueberry because I wanted to make sure he can eat it. If anyone knows, please share your knowledge.

I already searched the forums and the only thing I could find was people talking about blueberry branches for chins...so any help would be appreciated :))

The blueberry wouldn't be any more unsafe than the other things in it. I'd just hold back on giving out too much of it. Some people say that any of those dried fruits are bad for chins, some think it's alright in strict moderation. This is something that I would give VERY VERY sparingly. Definitely no more than one tiny piece a day. Just don't buy it again. You can buy things like shredded wheat that are just as appreciated by the chins as anything else. If you did decide that you want to give dried fruit as a treat, it would probably be better to buy the dried fruits meant for people. Probably would be a bit cheaper, too.

Remember that you do not want to feed more than one treat a day. One treat is a very tiny piece of dried fruit... My chins prefer the shredded wheat or rosehips because they get more of those than papaya or any other dried fruit. (I hardly ever give anyone a treat of any type anymore...)

I know many people differ on chin treats. IMO Kaytee equals crap. Anything Kaytee for a chin is not good for the chin. If you'd like your chin to live to an old age, healthier treats are better--dried rose hips, 1/2 plain shredded wheat (given only a couple of times per week) a pinch of old fashioned (not quick cooking oats), a plain cheerio, VERY sparingly dried wheat pasta, and all the safe wood branches they can nibble on. Dried fruits are incredibly high in sugar--humans should not be eating dried fruit--so the other treats are much better for your chin than the kaytee stuff.

The regular dried fruits have added sugar to them therefore extremely high in sugar.

If I was to give them fruits, I would cut and dehydrate them with nothing added to them and give it sparingly.

The only ingredients are raisins, dried apple, dried cranberry, and dried blueberry. I know that the raisins, apple, and cranberry are fine for chins, but I was wondering about the dried blueberry?

Actually, no, none of those are fine for chins. Some people *say* that dried fruits and other fruits given in moderation are okay, but I just don't see the point where there is evidence that they can be harmful.They are sugary (even the dried ones) which causes the bacteria in the chin's gut to overgrow and become out of whack which can cause GI issues such as bloat and diarrhea. I also don't see the point because they aren't needed to keep the chin healthy, and there are many other safe treat alternatives that are known to not cause any harm to chins.

Pretty much anything you buy from a pet store will not be safe for chins. Chins don't need treats at all- it's for the owner's satisfaction to give them. If you want to give treats, stick with what is tried and true and known to be safe. Old fashioned oats, cherrios, unfrosted shredded wheat, rose hips, and they absolutely love apple sticks.

I'm sure the Kaytee thing didn't cost that much and I wouldn't be at a loss to toss it when I know of the possible danger that sugary treats can cause.

Get some shredded wheat. I swear Shelly looks like a junkie when I give her one. She loves them more than anything else I have given her.

I agree. all my chins are PITAs when it comes to treats! this one doesnt like rosehips, this one doesnt like cheerios, that one wont eat this or that........but i can say that THE one thing they ALL agree on is unfrosted mini shredded wheat!

hehehe That's funny! :D

My chins are under the assumption that timothy hay is also a treat. :) Shhhh...don't tell them that I would give it to them anyway even if they do misbehave! When I am giving out hay at night everyone goes bonkers telling me to give them hay. Then they sit there and munch on hay like they have never had anything so good...they'll ignore everything else. Chinchillas are funny like that. They don't need anything very fancy at all...just their basic, bland food and hay and a shreddie every few days. :D

Hay cubes are gold in our house too. I don't know why. She always has both loose hay and cubes. Shreddies are still number one though. She hears the box open and comes running into the kitchen like flash lightening. I'm teaching her to give kisses on command. I'll ask her for kisses and then hold her treat in my lips for her to take. It's really cute. Her little nose comes up to me and whiskers brush my cheeks before she takes her shreddie. :) Typing this makes me want a kiss from Miss Puff. I think she needs a treat.

Thanks for the quick responses. And I am surprised to hear that the dried fruit are not "good" for them. In every chinchilla book or website I have read, it says dried fruits are okay in extreme moderation. So thanks for the heads up. Next time I go to the market I will get some cheerios and shredded wheat and see if he likes it. :))

I will get some cheerios and shredded wheat and see if he likes it

havent met a chin that doesn't!

if you have a walgreens by you, they have a smaller box made by Post for only 1 dollar!

Gizmo goes crazy when he hears the shredded wheat box being opened. Its so cute :)

Back