Don't know if it's mites or fleas

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpineyPigFaceLover

Ugh, seriously, one problem after another...

First my little boy is cranky and upset, then the mother goes into hibernation last night, then my little girl gets grouchy, and now I found a teeny tiny black bug crawling on m computer screen.

I noticed my little girl was scratching herself as I was helping momma get warm. I didn't think much of it, since it hasn't been bad, but now I'm wondering if all this grouchiness lately has been due to some kind of bug. Like I said, I haven't noticed anything crawling on them, but I did just see a tiny little think crawling on my computer screen. It looked black.

My head has also been itchy, but I dismissed it due to the dry winter air, I usually get dry scalp around this time of year. Now I'm not so sure. Opinions? Also, I'm strapped for cash, so I'm not sure how to even afford to treat 3 hedgehogs : [

Its possible its mites. Unless you have another source that interacts with your hedgehogs to give them fleas they wont have fleas. Either way Revolution will treat both. You need to go to a vet for it, as it is prescription only. How old is your little girl? Are you sure its not quilling that is making her itchy and grumpy. Sorry to have to say it but best way to know for sure is to take her to the vet.

I would suggest putting away some money every so often and build a little nest egg bank account for hedgie emergencies. You may also be able to take out CareCredit to help pay for any bills. Whats great about CareCredit is that you can use it for human medical issues too!

Good Luck!

Thanks for the advice. Now that I've thought more about it, I think I was just overreacting. It could have been a nothing bug. She has started her second quilling or is finishing her first (she is 7 weeks tomorrow) and I recently gave her a bath so I think that is why she is itching. I have not seen the mother itching at all and the little boy rarely does it as well.

I did speak to a vet yesterday and luckily for the initial visit and checkup it is only $55 to see all three (because they have never been seen before and will become new patients). BUT that doesn't include if they do have mites or anything else, then it obviously becomes more expensive. She did mention that if they had mites that she would give them an injection. Is there a significant difference between that and Revolution? I really would hate for them to stick a needle in my little boy especially, since he already is grumpy and hardly lets me touch him. I don't want him to associate me with pain.

I'll have to look into this CareCredit. But you are right, it's time to start saving for these little guys. Amazing how much the little ones can cost, huh? : ]

NO NO NO NO. Do not allow the injection. It can cause severe adverse reactions, including death. Revolution is safe for them.

Unless you are seeing frequent frantic scratching, they probably don't have mites and fleas are rare unless you have a flea infestation on other pets. I'd hold off on anything for a few days.

Thanks Nancy. I wouldn't feel right about an injection anyway, but now that I know it is so dangerous I would never allow that to happen!

They really haven't been scratching much, so I think I just flipped out for no reason! I think I love my hedgies too much : ]

But all of this info was helpful just in case something happens in the future!

No such thing as loving them too much. You are just experiencing new things and are concerned. At least you have a resource here to ask questions so that you don't have to make unnecessary trips to the vet.

Latest posts

Back