Dollar store product?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarissaRelf

Animal Lover <3
So my rescues all had dry ears and I was gonna get some bag balm but I read (on here) that you can use patrolium jelly because it's the base of bag balm. I know they had it at the dollar store so I went there for it. I found this product in like a lotion tube (squeeze bottle not pump) it said "patrolium jelly enriched with vitamin E". I also read that vitamin E was also good so I thought "Hey the best of both!" So I bought it. But when I brought it home and opened it I expected to be like patrolium jelly goey consistancy but It came out like a thick white cream like lotion so I'm worried. Should I use it or just get the regular bag balm/jelly? Thank you!

Petro means oil. I've had some from the dollar store ( I sleep with it slathered on my hands and feet ) that just stunk like oil/gas.

Is there anything else in it?

I re read the title and it says "Creamy petroleum jelly" I didn't know that was possible. the ingredients are: Petroleum, water, carbomer, stearic acid, glyceryl stearate, mineral oil, cetearyl alchohol, sodium lauryl sulfate, methylparaben, propylparaben, triethanolamine, tocopheryl acetate, fragrance. Which IDK what the normal ingredients are in bag balm or petroleum jelly so I can't really compare.

That's about the same as just putting lotion on their ears. Paraben's are usually a waxy substance used to make lotions thicker.

What works really well for dry ears and is safe is a little bit of olive oil, and most people have it in their houses already. Safe if they eat some as well.

Yep olive oil is for me too..even the vet told me it works good especially if the ears are not really bad..just make sure is extra virgin olive oil I'm not sure why but this were my vets words "in these cases( meaning the ears of my chin) and lighter than this use extra virgin olive oil" :) ...and it works for me never dry ears again...and one last thing I don't give Pogo (my little male) dustbath the day that I treat his ears to avoid any dust stack on the ears...

Back