Dogs with anal gland problems?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinchieRoo

Vegan Pet Lover
Hi,

I have a beagle that has had anal gland issues for the past 5 years. She had emergency vet visit one night and since has had to have them drained by the vet monthly. I have switched her food recently, so I am wodering if it will help. I have just started adding ground flaxseed for extra fiber as well. We just had to have our 8 month old puppy's anal glands drained as well. I was wondering if anyone else has had to deal with this. I want to try and avoid this monthly thing. I have read that it can have to do with allergys and too many grains. Any other information on this? Thanks!

Do you mean flushed or expressed? Some dogs get infections in their anal glands or are not able to express them by themselves. This is an issue that may require a vet depending on if they regularly become impacted, etc.

Or they may just need expressed which you could probably do at home. It really depends on the actual problem.

my mom's poodle and one of her doxies has this problem too. She takes them to the bathroom every once in a while and does it herself. The vet taught her how to

Unless otherwise recommended by your vet it is always helpful to have them on dry dogfood only. Firm,formed poos actually express the glands as it passes.Alot of groomers will also express the gland(may charge extra).The dry dog food only was recommended by my vet after I mentioned my mom's peke had this problem all of the time, but when she had to stay with us for two weeks, it wasn't a problem.Sure enough when I asked Mom about it, she had changed her from the hard diet to canned only!This in spite of my multiple speeches about hard food was better for teeth,gut,etc. when she first got her!:hair:

Adding a bit of canned pumpkin (PLAIN pumpkin) will add some fiber and sometimes bulks up the poop enough to let them express naturally. Your dog's poop should be small and hard and fairly dry. If it is mushy or the consistency of toothpaste/mashed potatoes then you need a different food. Look for grain free foods, they are the best.

One of my dogs has to have his glands expressed monthly or he starts to leak. I do it myself in the bathtub, generally before a bath, and that's enough to keep him from having any more problems. Some dogs are just more prone to problems than others.

I like this site for basic explanation: http://www.dr-dan.com/analsac.htm

Years ago my sweet little Benji-mutt Dixie had anal gland issues as well. After a couple of vet visits he showed me how to do it myself. Nasty business, :vomit: but it saved time and money. I usually had to drain them about every 3 weeks. I could tell when they needed draining because she'd get a little swollen area right by her anus.
They never mentioned diet, but she was always on dry dogfood. This was also about 10 years ago, so maybe it wasn't connected then.
If you do end up draining them yourself, don't get any of it on you, or anything you want to save- that smell never comes out!

I just started trying the canned pumpkin as well. Both the girls with the anal gland issues get a little canned food daily. Daisy has meds to take twice a day and she gets the canned food for that. Although I have been mixing a little with the flaxseed, another reason the pumpkin is a nice thing to use. I just don't know if I could do that myself. It seems so awful and gross. I don't know though. Having two dogs with this issue will not be good for the wallet. My puppy is still on puppy formula and I didn't really want to switch her off of that yet. My other dog is 14 and allergic to so many things, it has been hard to find her a food she can actually eat. At the vet they were saying this anal gland thing must just be somthing with my dogs! I don't know what I am doing. They all eat Wellness, different formulas though. I want to feed them a good and natural food. I have looked into so many foods and I always come back to Wellness. Thanks.

We recommend green beans (i'd cook them up) as well as canned pumpkin. Anything to add fiber may help!

I have to express my border collie's anal glands, and she tries to rip my hand off and screams bloody murder everytime. With some dogs it may be safer to take them to a vet to have it done and there is also your comfort level with the 'gross' factor.

If it's bad enough your vet may recommend having the anal sacs removed.

lol....oh no I know how to express them... This is graphic, But you will need gloves and some kind of lubricant. Stick you fingers in and you'll feel something that feels like a marble. Just pinch it with the finger thats in there and the one that on the outside. We had to do it on several dogs that came in for spay and neuter in my vet class...lol

I never had to express my dog's anal glands internally. The vet told me (10 yrs ago) to take my index and middle fingers, form a "V" on each side of the dog's anus (externally), press in an upward motion, and it usually came out. It never really seemed to bother her either, she really seemed more relieved than anything. It stinks to high heaven though! :witch1:

I will try green beans as well. Sometimes Daisy yells, they say she will yell at them before they even touch her! She must just be sad about what is going to happen. I just couldn't imagine doing that myself. I just hope I can do something else to make them better! Thanks again.

We recommend green beans (i'd cook them up) as well as canned pumpkin. Anything to add fiber may help!

I have to express my border collie's anal glands, and she tries to rip my hand off and screams bloody murder everytime. With some dogs it may be safer to take them to a vet to have it done and there is also your comfort level with the 'gross' factor.

If it's bad enough your vet may recommend having the anal sacs removed.

Back