Dog Car Harnesses

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beanjelly

kayak queen...
So I'm interested in getting car harnesses for our dogs so they're safer while we're travelling. Does anyone use these? Do they actually keep the dog safer? Is there anything in particular I should look for when buying them?

We'd be buying one for our little guy, who is a 9 lb Min Pin and our big guy, who is a 65 lbs shepherd/chow/husky mix.

I use one for my lab setter mix, she's about 60 pounds. It really works well for her because she likes to move around a bunch in the car, so it helps keep her in place. I bought the kind that has an adjustable strap that clips into the seat belt, this allows me to adjust how much she's able to move around. And I like that it's more comfortable for her to lay down than the kind that just slips through the seat belt, she had that kind when she was a puppy.

This is the kind she has
http://www.baxterboo.com/images/store/medium/bb_590_1.jpg
I think it's by Guardian Gear

I had bought one for my 60 pound lab mix but it did not work out because he has separation anxiety or something, he WILL NOT sit in the back seat, I have to crate him if I do not want him in the front (he'll climb up there even if someone is in the passenger seat). I think they are a great idea if your dog is good about sitting the car already. I actually have the one I bought for sale if you are interested.

I use one for my 120 pound Saint Bernard mix, works great and makes me feel safer if something was to happen it would keep her from flying through the window. I suggest finding one that snaps into the buckle, the slip through ones dont work too well and can tangle the dog's leg up :thumbs:

I used one for years with my sheltie - She loved to ride in my convertible. So I would put her in the harness and go. She was the perfect dog and just sat in the seat. Of course she wanted to be in the front passenger seat and got pretty 'ticked' if my husband came with us because then she went in the back seat

So it sounds like the ones that clip into the seat belt itself are probably better. Luckily, my dogs aren't too antsy in the car, but I'm sure it may take some getting used to/getting tangled up for them.

I keep my two in a harness that is connected to their car seat. They love to look out the window. :) They both wear their walking harness which has a D-link connector what attaches to the car seat (which has four straps anchoring it down to the seat). I got this one from either petco or petsmart, brand- Outward Hound.

But I want to upgrade to this one: http://www.petedge.com/product/Lookout-My-Buddy-Car-Seat-wStorage-for-Pets/44607.uts

Latest posts

Back