Does your dog get along well with your chin(s)?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zombiezeatbrain

Philosophically inclined?
This is kind of a random question.

But, okay, so I'm only 18. I'm attending University of Oregon in the fall. I'm not planning on adopting a dog until I've either completed my bachelor's degree or maybe even until I've completed my masters degree and am living in a home of my own. So basically I'm not getting one until I've truly settled down and started my own life.

I have always had a love for german shepherds and have planned on getting one for years, but recently I've started thinking that maybe that's not the best choice considering I have a chinchilla and they have a not-so-good history regarding their temperament towards other animals? My first dog was a german shepherd and she was a great family dog but would seriously try to kill any other animal that came her way.

I have an 8 year old lab/golden retriever mix right now who is SO well trained and such a good boy named Manon. He is an ex-therapy dog. Manon and my chin Nietzsche get along so well. I will let manon in for chinchilla free play and he will just lay on the ground while Nietzsche climbs all over him. They have a really good chemistry together.

But Manon won't be around forever, so I was wondering if you guys have dogs that get along well with your chins, and if so, what breed are they? I understand that some people feel strongly towards keeping dogs completely separate from chinchillas but I have a different opinion (so long as the dog is well-trained and calm). So, feel free to please share stories and stuff like that.

I need all the info I can get hahaha. Thanks guys!

Try to get another ex-therapy dog. It sounds like it worked out well for you. I have 4 dogs and 6 chinchillas and personally I only let one dog in the 'Chin room' ever. I only let my 3 pound, deaf, sweetheart dog anywhere near them. It might just be my nerves but I would never let anything happen to my chinchillas. My other dogs are well trained but I know at least 2 of them have a bad history with small animals.

My girls are in the same room with the dogs all day and all night, but are always separated from them when they're out of the cage. I would be too nervous to let them interact, even though I only have small dogs. I'm pretty sire my pomeranian would be fine with them, but my shih tzu thinks everything is a toy. I think having them in the same house is fine as long as you have limits and the dogs are trained.

My rottie is absolutely wonderful with them. She is allowed in the room while the chins are in their cage and we have never had a problem( she might try to lick the boys but my boys are more curious and actually like teasing her) However, I would never let them interact outside the cage together. The boys have out of cage playtime but no doggies allowed :) it is just to much of a risk to me :/

I have a 5yr Pit bull mix and a 10 yr Husky mix that are fine with my chins, I think it's all about how well your dog is trained. The other day my male chin hopped out during feeding time and jumped right onto my Pit! But she just laid there and looked up at me like "Uh... Mom... Can you please get him off of me?"

I have only read a few horror stories about dogs and escaped chins, and it is usually the smaller dogs that tend to hurt them (only by what i have read).

I agree with the above posters that as long as your dog is never in the room when the chin is out, it most likely wont be an issue.

I'm sure my dog, a chihuahua, wouldn't try to harm my chin, but I still wouldn't allow him in the same room. It's not just about the temperament of the dog, most dogs naturally carry pasturella, which is very dangerous to chins, so I wouldn't take the risk of the bacteria being passed. I don't feel you can ever predict an animals behaviour 100% anyway, but even if you could, even the most laid-back dog could easily hurt a chin purely by accident.

Mine are fine with the chins. All they really care about is what comes out of the chin...they think they are treat dispensers! :vomit:

I have two german shepherd mixes and a purebred german shepherd. When I brought Charm home they were curious about her and for a few days they wanted to stay close to their cage. Charm being my little brave girls showed no fear towards them and now will come up to the cage to greet them (even though her cage is about a foot above their heads).

They ignore her now, for the most part. The only time they get curious again is when she starts popcorning around her cage like a mad woman. Although I think that would spark anyone's interest as it's quite adorable.

I don't let my dogs into the chin room. I am sure they would be fine with the chins, but after watching my friend almost lose her girl to a staph infection, I feel it's better safe than sorry.
Her dog's saliva was on the floor (I'm guessing from licking it's paws) and her chin kept skooching her backside repeatedly over that spot. She ended up with a bad infection and had to be on serious antibiotics, etc. Too scary.

I don't have any dogs, but I know one of my chins has issues with them. When I got him the previous owner had a dog which was normally not allowed near the chins, but sometimes he would sneak into where the cage was and would sit and stare at the chins. Chilly has issues I guess with being stared at like he's a piece of meat and would chew his fur from the added stress. Once he was permanently removed from a home with dogs his fur went completely back to normal. So I guess just because a dog may be gentle with the chins, the chins may still feel threatened anyhow. Personally if I were going to have a dog it would have to be an outside only animal, that way it would always be separated from the chinchillas. I wouldn't take any chances on it.

My dogs are terriers, so as such have a high prey drive. I can allow Gavin leashed in the chin unit with me and he'll just want to clean up the chin poop. I would never allow my dogs around the chinchillas outside of their cages.

Dogs are predator by nature, chinchilla are prey by nature.

I think it depends on the dog and the chin. I had a maltese and her and my chin Bella got along fine. Bella usually ignored my dog (Reese) but Reese liked to follow Bella around and sniff at her and clean up after her :p If it had been any other dog I would have been more worried putting them together, but Reese was afraid of EVERYTHING, even the wind, so I knew if anything it would be the dog running away from the chin lol! Regardless, they were never alone together just to be absolutely 100% sure.

I keep a baby gate on the chin room door way all the time so my dog rarely gets in there. When she does she likes to watch them and usually gets too excited and begins barking at them. She also likes to eat her poop. Hence, the baby gate. I wouldn't trust any dog to be out with one of my chins while they were running free...I don't care how friendly the dog is. It only takes a split second for the dog to decide to chomp the chin and then it's all over.

I have a cockerspaniel/terrier mix. My chins are in the basement so we sometimes keep the door open for my dog on hot days so she can go downstairs and lay on the cool concrete (unfinished basement). She's actually scared of my chins. She'll walk by the cages and sniff at them, but shes way too chicken to go up to them.

I wouldn't trust any dog completely with a chin. I think if you keep them completely separated, then what type of dog you get shouldn't be an issue. He should never be allowed in the same room with your chin.

I have a doberman, the sweetest dog ever, so I know he would never attack my chin. But, he plays like a puppy and those big feet of his can be awfully dangerous to a smaller animal. I would be scared he would accidentally step on my chin and injure trying to play with her.

Choose the dog you really want, just keep your dog's world and chin's world apart and you should be fine!

For all the people that have scared dogs....scared dogs are more prone to bite. Just because a dog is scared of a chin does not mean they will be okay together..they could easily attack out of fear.

My dog and chinchilla don't get a long at all. When my dog was a puppy, (we got her at 5 weeks), she was exactly the same size of my chinchilla! I wanted for them to get to know each other so I let my chinchilla out while my puppy was in her carrier cage. My chinchilla went inside and bit her so hard she whimpered. To this day, every time my chinchilla sees my dog, he will attack her. He will chase her and bite her. If my dog is close to the bars of the cage, my chinchilla will go crazy trying his best to bit her, and my dog growls. My dog is scared of my chinchilla, but on the otherhand, when my chinchilla escapes, my dog will go chase him and I'm more afraid of her biting him than him biting her. My dog has never bit my chinchilla and they will hate each other. My dog will come and look for him in his cage though lol.
2vtqrlz.jpg

Mine are fine with the chins. All they really care about is what comes out of the chin...they think they are treat dispensers! :vomit:

Ha ha! My dog too!

My dog is scared of the chins. My oldest boy escaped one day and attacked her. She is never in with the chins when they are loose now. If she was and they didn't bite her all she would do is clean their butts. :D

My old dog was deaf and blind. The chins loved her. They would jump off her and run around her. She even slept next to their cage at night.
I would like to say though. Knowing what I know now. I would never trust a dog alone with a chin. One or the other may get hurt bad.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Back