Does anyone have a fennec fox ?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not, but I know of several people who do. They are not "cool" pets. They are destructive as heck. They can also be very vicious, especially a rescue. They will kill smaller pets that you have like chins, rats, etc.

I don't know why people insist on having these types of animals as pets. There are enough domesticated animals already, we don't need people keeping foxes, lions, bears, and wolves.

You would keep them as pets? They scare me half to death! They are WILD in my eyes...

Fennec foxes are not pets because they are nowhere near domesticated. Having a fennec fox is equivalent to having any other fox as a pet, or a badger, or a bear. They would be very difficult "pets" and more problem than anything... Not to mention that I can't imagine that they would be very happy.

Animals like cats, dogs, chinchillas, rats, etc are okay as pets because they have been bred to be pets for dozens/hundreds/thousands of years. The chinchillas we have now as pets are very, very different from wild chinchillas, just like if you would compare pet dogs to wild dogs, pet cats to wild cats, etc.

I love fennec foxes and did quite a bit of research on them. They are extremely destructive and a difficult pet to work with. They cost a large amount of money to initially adopt and they require all of your free time.

Ditto with what's been said. Plus you would have to move out of Mass. They are pretty strict about certain "exotic" animals.

There is an exotic petstore near Syracuse NY that has a pair of them. The guy said he bought them for breeding, but they havn't produced anything for him in over three years. They are really cute. He lets them run around the store sometimes. He said they make good pets but not for everyone. They cost a ton of money, their diet is not the simplest, they are very good at escaping things, and take alot of attention.

I really know nothing about them, but that is what I was told.

Poor things. They probably haven't bred because they are in a situation that is not good for them.

Yep, Chihuahuas are a good substitute and they are much easier and about the same size. (The worst my dogs do is get into things, and then I find them asleep on the things they have gotten into...)

The Fennecs just seem sort of creepy and weird. I remember hearing about all the problems people had with them years back when they were one of the cool pets to get. No one seems to have them as much as they used to maybe six or seven years ago.

I had to look up a fennec, as I have never heard of them before. I must say they are truly adorable, but not all animals, adorable or not, make for good pets. I'm not sure why people insist on housing animals that aren't meant to reside outside of their natural habitats. Admire them, respect them, and keep the planet safe for them to continue on for the next generations to enjoy.

I think they are absolutely adoarable, but I dont think I'd want one as a pet.

I'd imagine it would be extremely unhappy as well.

Chihuahuas are cool...but then again, I say that because I have 3, haha.
And I doubt you'd have to worry about them turning on you.

No , i would never want one to be captured for me just so i could keep one as a pet. I don't get why people do that. But i would like to adopt a rescued one when i'm older that can't go back to the wild.

I had to look up a fennec, as I have never heard of them before. I must say they are truly adorable, but not all animals, adorable or not, make for good pets. I'm not sure why people insist on housing animals that aren't meant to reside outside of their natural habitats. Admire them, respect them, and keep the planet safe for them to continue on for the next generations to enjoy.

Weren't you asking about parrots just a few weeks ago in chat? It seems to me like you're not really thinking ANY of these animals through. When you get a pet, it's best to start with basic animals that are easy to care for and work with a long standing rescue to get experience with the animal you're interested in. You won't be able to adopt a fennec or any other difficult to handle animal from a reputable rescue unless you have experience with that animal. Since you're so interested in owning more exotic animals (exotic typically indicates an extremely difficult and time consuming pet), I suggest you volunteer at a local zoo or wildlife sanctuary. There are plenty of those across the US and they can always use volunteers. Most require you to be 18 or older but occasionally make exceptions for minors. If they won't accept you now, try again when your 18...but until you get more experience with exotic animals, it's not the smartest to toy with the idea of owning them.

Latest posts

Back