Do you notice your chin(s) getting attached to others?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoof

Kung Fu Chinny!
Another thread made me wonder about chins getting attached to other pets in the household.

About 15 years ago I got my first chin. He was an only guy and got very attached to Evil Kitty and myself. When she died of cancer he cried and moped for weeks. Thankfully it was during finals and I was already pulling all nighters.

Three years ago I bought a house and moved the herd into a barn. Inside the barn was a door with a window that entered into a stall for my horse. He must have spent a lot of time watching them, when I sold him the entire herd moped and cried. I could hear them through the walls, and it was a very somber/quiet cleaning experience for a few weeks afterwards.

Now the cat I understand, she lived in the house with me. With the exception of a few break-ins on Kermit's part the chins never actually made contact with him, it was more of a peeping horse sorta thing.

Anyone else notice that chins get rather attached to things, even if they don't have direct contact to it?

Hmm, something to ponder. I've had a couple of dogs pass from old age since I got my chins, but I didn't notice any reaction from them over it. Of course, I generally keep the dogs out of the chin room, but... And maybe since there were four dogs but are now two, no one has noticed?
:-/

The only other animals in the house are the dogs. My chins HATE the dogs with a passion and are always wanting to bite them and hurt them. The chinchillas get very depressed if they lose a cagemate or if I turn off the radio or if anything at all changes. I am sure that without the horse they got a little upset because something changed. Although, with the chihuahuas the chins here really could care less if they live or die...they just want to bite the puppies in the nose.

My chin loves to play with my chihuahua - each on their own side of the playpen. My chin is interested in the other animals, but only plays with my chihuahua who is closer to her size. The two of them really entertain each other and are fun to watch.

My degus were in the same room as the chins and since they were almost always moving, I think they provided entertainment for the chinchillas. When the degus passed away, a few of the chins moped.

My ebony male Sputnick was very fond of my dog Bear. They liked to visit with each other through the cage. Bear was sad when Sputnick died.

I have a chin who absolutely loves my yellow lab. He is a registered therapy dog with a very mellow demeanor. Before I let my chin out every night, my dog manon will want to come in and hang out, and I'll just have him lay on the floor next to my bed. I'll let Nietzsche out and he always gives manon nose kisses and crawls on top of his back and just hangs out there. Manon's a fan of Nietzsche too. The both of them cry if they don't see each other for anymore than a few days.

Zombie, I also have a golden retriever (Osito) who is a registered therapy dog. He has a mellow personality as well. He always comes up to my chin, Abbey's, cage and the two touch noses from time to time. Osito will lie down by her cage and watch her run around every now and then. Abbey has never kacked at him and seems to like when he pokes his nose in the bars.

My chins get incredibly worked up when they see my ferrets out to play. Their cages are not far from each other, and they could care less when their in the cage, but once i let the ferrets out, my chins take notice! (They never come face to face or anything like that)

On the other side of that, my one girl Ameena, seems to hate having my dad around all night. She will stand their are bark at him alllllllll night long.

Our chinchillas are in the living room, so they are always a part of whatever is going on in the house. ZZ is pretty laid back and he could care less about the dogs being near his cage. Marble, on the other hand, hates the dogs. If they are too close to her cage she freaks out and starts kacking at them and will occasionally spray urine if she is feeling particularly feisty.

I think as long as someone is feeding them, my guys could care less about who lives here and who doesn't. lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back