Do most of you adopt?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fawkes

Obviously it isn't great to buy from pet shops, and they're way overpriced anyways, and there doesn't seem to be many breeders...or at least in Florida there doesn't seem to be.

So I guess adoption is how most get chins? Petfinder only has 2 chins in FL and they're way off...I do occasionally see chins on craigslist though. I suppose that will be how I get my chins, but I wish I knew of a breeder near me.

Essentia on here has a very nice rescue in Jacksonville Fl. If you specify your location more someone may be able to help you out more.

I adopted my chin from a lady who was moving and couldn't take her chins with her. She gave me a crash course on their care and referred me to this forum.

this Floridian appears to do both breeding and adoptions, and (s)he's a member:
http://norwoodchinchillas.webs.com/

i just got my Jonesy a few weeks ago, and she's +3 months old, but there's still a lot of baby-worry involved. even little things--does she not like that stick, or is it just too big for her to hold onto?
Bo, Luke, & Daisy were my degus, (fixed) siblings adopted at 1 yr. old, and they were a lot easier--less needy, less worrying, and of course, pre-bonded to each other from birth.
my dog Hank was 6 months old, on clearance, roaming around a pet shop freely while his post-mange fur grew back when i got him, and he was a sweet-natured, untrainable delight his whole life. (i know--i'll never go in a store with puppies again, but i couldn't just LEAVE him there!)
but i have to admit that in spite of all the fretting, i'm enjoying the way every little thing is a new discovery for Jonesy and getting to be a part of that this time. i have always advocated animal adoption and i'll do it again, i'm sure.
ultimately, i think it's all about what's right for you with where you're at in life. i'm pushing 40 with no kids and no plans for any, and for me, a young chin was the right choice this time. but you might see a pic of a rescue and feel your heart break and just know he or she is The One.

Hi Fawkes. Where is Florida are you located? I know a few resuces south of us as well that I can recommend it they are close.

Also, Norwood is no longer in Florida.

Last edited:
I got mine from a friend who "got sick of taking care of him". I got him with the cage for 60$, where at the pet store the chinchilla would be 150$ and the cage would be at least 100$ for a smaller one.

I adopted Idgie from a petstore where a lady had dropped her off. It was a small store that had baby chins for sale and the owner gave me Idgie for free since she was about a year old and he wasn't going to be able to sell her. That was 5 years ago and she has been great.

I adopted my first two a long time ago. Along with Essentia, Rick of NOLA chinchillas occasionally makes runs through FL. He adopts chins out with all cages and supplies.

Sometimes random area breeders like myself will get chins in to adopt out. It fluctuates seasonally. :))

I adopted my one and only chinchilla from an animal rescue about 2 hours away from where I live. I had to do a lot of digging around the internet to find him, but I'm so glad I did.

I actually was able to find a local breeder who had one or two chins available at the time, but I felt better adopting one that really needed a good home. Like I said, I'm SO glad I made that decision.

I got both of my chins from two different breeders.

I started by just getting one chin, Orville. A few days after I got him, I noticed he keep looking so sad and lonely in his cage. So, I went onto craigslist and found a 3-month-old standard gray discounted for $50 from another breeder. They needed to find a home for him because they were expecting more kits. So then I got my second chin Wally :)

I have to admit, I did not introduce them properly. I figured they were both young/impressionable, had been living with other chins for their entire lives, and were in neutral territory (the cage in my apartment). The introduction went fine and they have gotten along great ever since. I was lucky.

Attachments

• 315302_10100759496390078_13731182_62402722_550677796_n.jpg
    315302_10100759496390078_13731182_62402722_550677796_n.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Adopting

I adopted mine from a rescue in Nashville, Tennessee, I live In Indianapolis Indiana and drove about 4 hours to meet with the person for adoption in Bowling Green Kentucky, adopting has made all the difference to me, i was giving a home to a chinchilla in need, and i absolutely love him. Driving was no issue for me, i would have driven all the way to Tennessee if i needed to.

I got my first boy from a pet store and an impulse buy (I had wanted a chin for a long time but didn't go in looking for one that day). My next two were from a breeder, because I really wanted a baby mosaic boy and waiting for one to come up in a rescue might have taken forever. Next time I'm going with a good rescue 100% - there are too many chins that need homes, and I've already raised a pair of babies, so I'm over the need to do that.

All my other pets were rescues (well not the beta fish).

I’ve been thinking of adding a chameleon to my zoo after I finish school. I’ve been keeping an eye out on some other forums and pet finder but I never see the breed I’m looking at… so I may end up talking to a pet store I know and respect. It’s a small store owned by an exotics vet who works at the Bronx Zoo – and they either breed their own or get from retable small breeders. I was there in August and they had a clutch of adorable baby turtles behind the counter. I was asking about them and they said they were born in the store and will be staying there for at least 2 years before they put them up for sale. It’s the kind of store I feel OK buying from. They also work with a local exotics vet to find homes for adoptable animals.

So I think it’s about knowing what you want and why… then looking at your options. If you want to adopt Crysta should be able to help you, either via her rescue or help you find one closer to you. And if you fall in love with a chin on that’s further away, we’ve all seen some amazing tales of chinchilla railroads to move chins long distances to get them to good homes.

I hope you find the right chin(s) for you.

I had the same problem! My first chin came from a pet store, and she had an eye infection right off the bat :p I wouldn't trade her for anything, though. For her companion, I'm buying from a local breeder that supports rescues, because most of the rescues are so far North. Good luck!

ADOPT ADOPT ADOPT! People dont realize how many chins need adopting. Rescues are full to the brim! a lot of times rescues who are out of the way will drive the chin to you or meet you halfway. Also, a lot of times members on here can railroad to you if theyre traveling. Keep looking and you will be sure to find the perfect chinnie!

I have adopted and then stopped about 3 or 4 years ago. They are still here going to live out their lives here.

For cats and dogs we do go to the animal shelter, except for the 2 kittens I hand fed two years ago when they were 7 days old I got them off craigslist.

both of my fuzzy boys came to me via adoption/rescue.

Rhino came from a byb that fronted as a 'rescue'. Guss was via kijiji (online classified), his human didn't have time for him any more.

both the cats and the dog at my dad's place were rescues too. Charlotte (siamese cat) was found out in a field by a neighbour's work, fending off coyotes. she was just a kitten at the time! Blackie (the other cat) found me at my apartment patio just over 2 years ago. Tibby (tibetan spaniel cross) we found via a local pet rescue magazine.

the best pets are rescues/adoptees!

I got Chester from a person outside Montreal who didn't really know how to take care of chins at all - they had 4 chins (Chester, his parents and a new baby) in one small cage, and were shocked that the female had another baby 3mo after Chester was born. Herm.

I'm really glad I got him - I think he has a much better life now!

Latest posts

Back