Do chins like a TV/radio playing? Or is it a myth?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my boys get movie nights. they have a tv and dvd player in there and i put on cute cartoon movies for them. they also like the Wubzy dvd's. on their movie nights they get spoiled with a whole spoon size shredded wheat and they sit and munch while zoned out on the tv, just like us two leggers :rofl:

i also bring in a lil boombox when i cage clean and they get subjected to my horrid impersonation of all the female singers on the country radio station, lol.

It's funny because mine hate the radio. They get really nervous and Tribble just sits there like a stone. I know it's because they are not used to it. During the day, I am not there so it's absolutely quiet unless the a/c unit is running. Somtimes they have playtime while I watch TV and that doesn't seem to bother them...

I have dubstep on right now for them and they are all sitting there staring at me like...what....is this....

haha it's fun to test out different genres and see how they react!

This reminds me of when a Mt. St. Helens show was on. They were really enjoying it but when the Mt. erupted they raced and took cover, peeped and came out....over and over for the whole show :)
The FB Frontierville bear roaring always scares them too

Besides barking at Beethoven, ours hasn't responded much to television or music. I made a little chinchilla playlist for her on YouTube and she ignored it.

my boys get movie nights. they have a tv and dvd player in there and i put on cute cartoon movies for them. they also like the Wubzy dvd's. on their movie nights they get spoiled with a whole spoon size shredded wheat and they sit and munch while zoned out on the tv, just like us two leggers :rofl:

i also bring in a lil boombox when i cage clean and they get subjected to my horrid impersonation of all the female singers on the country radio station, lol.

That's super adorable! Such spoiled little chins you have! hehe!

Love all the reactions to music the chins are having (like playing dupstep, that made me laugh so much Rainey!!) I deffiantly will get my old radio out and play some music for her!

Thanks everyone for the advice and tips :p

My boys love watching TV! Sometimes when my bf is sitting at his computer he blocks their view and they spaz out. They have quiet time during the day while we are gone at work and school, but have either TV or radio on for most of the evening and overnight. They love the cartoon Adventure Time, especially when the penguins quack, they quack back. They also love to listen to baseball games on the radio and watch Mario Kart when we play.
My boys also love to come out and sleep under the couch. We have covered most of our house's drywall though, so they don't chew the walls.
We have just introduced them to fleece as well. They didn't care about them at all for the first week at all, then they started sleeping under the hammocks. So, I moved there chinchillers under the hammocks on one of the shelves and that's their favorite place to sit now. I just made them a tube, and they will not go in it when I'm watching, but I have cleaned quite a few poos out of it already.
For a sleeping house, my boys have an Igloo. They have never chewed on it at all, and they love to snuggle up in it. Most people don't recommend the Igloos though because they are plastic and if they chew them it can cause blockages in the intestines

Mine are in the living room, too. They can see the TV perfectly. They both sit on the top of a tunnel and have their paws on a shelf in front of them. It looks like they are really paying attention. Not sure, if they do it, because they like the TV or they sit there to make sure there is not threat coming from there, because sometimes they duck down. To funny.

Mine listen to the radio 24/7. That way, when I come down and start making noise, they're not frightened!

When we got all of the X-Files series on Netflix, I was watching it obsessively (I never caught it the first time around). Everytime the opening sequence/music came on, Sappho was transfixed. It makes sense--the music has very odd sounds. She even watched a few episodes.

Sometimes she watches tv/movies, sometimes not. My boyfriend has a band room of sorts in the back of the house, and one day when he was playing his electric guitar, Sappho was literally turned toward the back of the house, immobilized.

It never gets any less hilarious :D

yes most chins love tv/radio, im not sure if they understand whats happening on the radio or if its just the lights and sound, but my chinchilla loves to watch tv, especially when my sister is watching phineas and ferb.

Back