Do chins like a TV/radio playing? Or is it a myth?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jess32247

I'm wondering if chins actually like a TV/radio playing. I've never tried it, but I'm thinking of setting up my old radio and having it play whenever I'm gone, beacuse she gets pretty lonely inside her cage while I'm gone :( and I hate to see her like that!

Have you had success with it? What station do you play for them? I like diffrent genres of metal, but I don't think she would like that very much :p It would be on low whenever I'm running arens with my mom or busy with school (even though right now I'm home schooled, but that could change, I hope it doesn't!) or whenever I'm busy around the house and can't let her out.

Also, is it bad she sleeps outside of her cage whenever I have her out? I don't usually see her sleeping comfrortably in it like she does when she's sleeping outside of the cage. I think she just doesn't like sleeping in it, she's fine with everything else though. But she's out like a light and dreaming at my desk for a couple of hours a day, then starts running around and being her crazy normal self. I usually have her out for 5+ hours a day, so I guess after running around and stretching her legs she wares herself out and sleeps for a bit, before running around again. She is a older chinnie, I think she's about 6, but I've only had her for about a half a year.

One last question! Can you suggest a good sleeping house for chins? The one she used to have is now being used as a "step" to help her into her new cage since it's higher off the ground then her other cage, and I feel bad not having a sleeping place for her incase she does decide to hunker down and have a good sleep while she's in her cage!

Jeez, sorry I wrote so much! Hope you don't mind helping me!

I dont play a radio, but my babies are in my dining room and it stays pretty busy. As far as a sleeping house goes...check out the "chin supplies for sale section", there are lots of goodies there!

Mine live in the living rm too, and I have the tv on For them, and they do watch it, soapies and news mostly, I tried animal planet and cartoons, but they didnt seem to care much of it.

i leave a top 20 radio station on, i think between the talking and the music it just keeps a consistant level of sound.

personally i feel 5 hours out of cage is a bit much but if you are in the room and you chinnie is under your watch the whole time, may be ok.

have you tried a hammock?? or a fleece covered tube. most of my guys sleep in their hammock. they are very inexpensive and you can get such cute patterns. or if you are crafty, there are instructions on the forum.....just do a search. maybe it can even be part of your homeschool curriculum!

My chin is in my living room. I play my him country music 24/7 when the TV is not on. If someone turns the radio off and forgets to turn it back on he will start to bark.

I believe Spoiled sums it up!

Oh, Trixie LOVES the TV, she is especially fond of music or dancing. She will sit in the corner of her cage and watch for hours.

i leave a top 20 radio station on, i think between the talking and the music it just keeps a consistant level of sound.

personally i feel 5 hours out of cage is a bit much but if you are in the room and you chinnie is under your watch the whole time, may be ok.

have you tried a hammock?? or a fleece covered tube. most of my guys sleep in their hammock. they are very inexpensive and you can get such cute patterns. or if you are crafty, there are instructions on the forum.....just do a search. maybe it can even be part of your homeschool curriculum!

Thank you everyone! I think I will start leaving the radio on for her whener i'm not in the room and busy!

Amd thank you mishellyshel, I am in the room withher tje whole time, so shes alwaus beimg watch. And I've made her a hammoxk and fleece tube, but she hasnt taken to it yet, I dont think shes ever had one before.

Mayne I should of posted the other qustions in anthor thread, but oh well :p

I've only had my girls a little over a week now, but they are in my living room where they have the TV during the day and the radio after I go to bed. I actually put it on for the dogs since they don't sleep in bed with us, and the chins get it by default. I have noticed that one of my girls seems to like watching the TV. She sits at the front of the cage with her little paws gripping the cage bars as she watches. It's so cute :)

i have my chins in my room and they actually enjoy rock music if i play it then they bounce and popcorn around their cage. also i have a chinchilla that if you strum on a guitar she goes crazy with excitement and if i open her cage and put the guitar near and strum it she will sit on the guitar and try plucking the strings. you could try having your metal on and see how they like it if they dont no harm no foul just put a different station on

I usually have pandora playing from my phone or laptop while I'm in my room, she doesn't seem to complain, LOL. But there usually isn't anything going during the day because my mom and dad would tell at me for wasting electricity on a chinchilla. (ugh) I may start to set up my iPod in its speakers next to her cage when I leave.

my mom and dad would tell at me for wasting electricity on a chinchilla. (ugh)

Ha! Wait until you are on your own. Flea seems to know when the electric bill comes because he becomes extra sweet for a couple of days- like he knows that without him in the house, my bill would be significantly lower. A stereo probably uses less than a dollar a day. Central air can double my bill easily.

Mine liked watching the television and the fireplace when I had them in the living room.

Ha! Wait until you are on your own. Flea seems to know when the electric bill comes because he becomes extra sweet for a couple of days- like he knows that without him in the house, my bill would be significantly lower. A stereo probably uses less than a dollar a day. Central air can double my bill easily.

That is the exact reason I don't leave things on for the girls. Living in Los Angeles with chinchillas leaves me with very large electric bills.

Back