Divorce/Separation of Property?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheena lee

I know this greatly varies depending on the country and state/province, but I'm just looking for some insight... because in my family I'm the go-to for legal questions and taxes, two things I know very little about. :facepalm: Whatever.

ANYWAY:

My aunt and uncle have been divorced for many years (I would say 6 years at least, but I'm not certain) after an abusive marriage. They're just now selling the home they used to live in -- well, more specifically, HE'S selling the home for $250,000 after putting about $50,000 into it. Now, he wants my aunt to sign papers saying she'll accept $40,000 of the money he gets, and he can walk away with the rest. She doesn't want to sign the papers, as she's co-owner of the home and thinks she's entitled to half minus the $50k he put in after they were separated.

My immediate thought was, of course she's entitled to half, it's property they both own, and in divorce property is separated 50-50, or on other agreed-upon terms (like if she signs those papers.) He never bought her out of the home, so it is owned by both of them.

But then homes are different, and there are stipulations.

My aunt did not work for many years because she's disabled, and has been since her second child was born some 24 years ago. She never collected disability, and though her name IS on the deed, she was a stay at home mother and did not contribute financially to the mortgage after she became disabled. Does that matter?

Neither of them have been living in the house for years. Is it still considered the matrimonial home? I believe they were married before buying the home, and the downpayment was entirely her money...

Is she entitled to $100,000? Or is she only entitled to the sum of what she paid of the mortgage as well as the downpayment? Thoughts? My aunt is still terribly afraid of my uncle, even though they now live in different provinces, and is scared to fight him for what she deserves...

It doesn't matter whether she worked or not, not here in the States anyway. I supported my ex while he went through school and flopped around uselessly with low paying to no paying jobs, and when we got divorced, he was still entitled to half.

What matters is what the divorce papers say. Do they say she is entitled to half of the house? Was the house listed in the divorce? If it was, then she should get her full half, not $40,000.00.

I agree with Peggy, it should be in the divorce papers, and it should be half of the selling value in I think most states, and I say that including the $50,000 put into it. I'm not sure what it's like there for here you can buy a whole house for $50,000. There's one not far from me on 3 acres for $56,000. Nothing special, needs work, but still...

Also if she wasn't working for that long, he actually should probably be paying her alimony as well...

Those are my thoughts as well, that she is entitled to half. I'm not sure about what's in the divorce papers, but that's a good point also. Having never been divorced myself (or even married for that matter!) it's really hard for me to even know where to start looking into this kind of thing haha.

Thanks for the insights!!

And $56,000 for a house is nice, and I think very rare here. Where my parents live (across the street from the house my aunt and uncle are selling), they bought their house in 1988 for $80,000. The average price around there is about $150,000 now, and I don't see anyone wanting to buy a house so far from the city for $250,000 - you can buy a condo on the island of Montreal for that price! But maybe that's just me... I like the city.

sorry to get off topic, but only 56 K for a house and 3 acres??? sign me up!!! lol.

up here the average 3 bedroom home in my neighbourhood (starter/family area) goes for at least 250 K. and you get a tiny little yard, maybe a garage, with your neighbours across a fence, with houses maybe 20 feet apart at most. yuck. the 1 bedroom, under 700 square foot apartment condo down the hall from me for sale is going for 129 K. ouch.

Back