dishrag hog - Tex is sick... again

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He's a real trooper. Can hardly hold himself up to walk for more than a few moments; but he tries when not completely exhausted. He remains hungry and seems to enjoy mealtimes. He was a mess this morning... had made a poop at some point overnight and couldn't walk away from it. So we did a very gentle and supported bath this morning. At this point, he would drown if we tried normal bathtime. :(

Little man's at 396g :( He was ~430g at the start of this, then up to 450g as he was eating and not wheeling.

Am thinking I'll increase number of mealtimes from 3 to 4?? Each mealtime, he always starts eating fine, but he does reach a point where he's says he's done for now, then we snuggle for awhile and try again.

He remains an enthusiastic boy...

How is Tex today?

I'd increase his meals, offer food while you are snuggling with him from time to time. You may even need to increase the calories in the food you are giving him to get enough to stop the weight loss.

Poor Tex, little man has been through so much.

He had some good poopies last night and I can see he made it around the outer loop (PVC tube and the space between the cage wall and tile structures) at least once. He was a bit of a mess on his lower sides and belly where be must have flopped into the poops, but we got that cleaned up.

He did a good job of eating last night and this morning, though didn't seem as hungry this morning as he has been - might just be a little fluctuation or reflect that he had a little more food last night than usual.

I pretty much keep the food out whenever we snuggle, so it's a fair amount of alternating between feeding and snuggle/resting whenever he's with me. We've made it through two cans of the A/D food we got from girldoc. Just going at him with regular wet cat food or baby food doesn't seem to be quite enough to keep the weight on.

He definitely feels different when I hold him... beyond the superflop (ie, floppy as if he were sedated). There isn't the same musculature around his little body. But his strength surprises Daddy and me sometimes: he'll (with help) stand straight up, like he's going to get into a stompy place. Instead, he just holds his head high and looks right at me. I've also found him under his wheel - takes some strong nosing around to do that.

I have figured out "want more food" and "done with food; want water" and "no water; want food" and "okay, I'm done with food and water for now" and "okay, I'm in my hedgiebag, can you move it so my feet are resting against something solid?"

Hey little man. Do you feel the wonderful thoughts I am sending to you to help you feel better? Feel better today little one.

Sometimes, he is a bit more energetic, will stand in my hands and feel like his regular self. Perhaps he is channeling your good vibes at those times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back