differant hay cuts

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbojangles13

did a quick google search and all it came up with was what time of year hay was cut, not really the differance and benifits one had over the other as far as chins were concerned. so whats the deal guys? whats the differance here? anything better for chins or what?

theres a whole area of research looking at nutrional content of grasses at certain heights. People at MSU are currently doing some kind of research- my memory is fuzzy, but certain cuts will have different sugar levels and quality.

Chins chew and utilize different teeth for different cuts of hay. It is said that the more variety there is, the more all the teeth are used.

1st cut is more coarse and stemmy.

2nd is more leafy but still has some stems

3rd is mostly all leafy.

I like to mix 1st and 2nd cut hay. My chins prefer the 2nd over the 1st, though.

I have a 3rd cut from I think Kleenmama this time and I love it! I never got the 3rd before. but I have to give it at different times then the 1st cut or the chins ignore the 1st cut lol!

I buy hay from a local farmer. I buy 2nd cut b/c his 1st cut is so thick and long that Idige can't even manage it. His 2nd cut has more variety than the hay in the bags at the pet stores. He doesn't do a 3rd cut.

different hay cuts

It doesn't matter what cut of hay it is in reference to chins using different parts of their teeth.The important thing to remember is that the hay is good quality,and not have mold.

It doesn't matter what cut of hay it is in reference to chins using different parts of their teeth.

Why not? I have read and been told on several different occasions that they chew the cuts differently, thus wearing down more than one area of teeth. & to me, that makes sense.

different cuts of hay

Dr.Butler,a well respected chinchilla rancher & vet presented this information during his seminar @ the Empress National meeting this past November.
Bob

Dr.Butler,a well respected chinchilla rancher & vet presented this information during his seminar @ the Empress National meeting this past November.
Bob

Hmm..it's a shame that sort of information is not posted on the internet, then..I'd love to read an article on it...considering many people (including very respectable breeders) have told me otherwise.

Last edited:
different cuts of hay

All I can say is,never argue with idiots!:vomit::vomit:

All I can say is,never argue with idiots!:vomit::vomit:

?? What? I'm not sure what you mean by this? I'm not arguing with you at all. All I said was I'd like to read/hear something stating otherwise since I have read and been told in many places that it did in fact help. Oh, and pretty sure that doesn't make me an idiot, thanks.

Last edited:
I've never tried 1st or 3rd, but my chin loves 2nd. He'll eat the leaves like he was eating corn. its hilarious.

Well, this is only anecdotal evidence but my dental chin Rayna has not developed teeth points in over 2 years since I added coarse grain hays in her diet in addition to 1st and 2nd cut timothy and other grass hays. She was diagnosed with dental disease/malocclusion when she was just a year old and had to go in regularly for filings.

Back